Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
newbie guy

Adding EDS File

6 posts in this topic

I have a 1732E-16CFGM12QCR module that I want to add to my 5000 project. I downloaded the eds file. I ran the EDS wizard from rsnetworks with no issues (I think). RSNetworks sees this module in the I/O tree. When I start up the 5000 program and try to add this module, it doesn't show up in the tree. Any ideas???

I would appear to me that the module is compatible with RSLogix 5000 v20.

The module will not "show up" within the RSL5K project tree unless user added. Once the module is "viewable" via RSLinx or RSNetworks you will have to add it to the CPU project file (RSL5K); depending of the module type and processor's firmware level you might be able to add it while Online/Run Mode or you will have to add it to an Offline project file and then download it to the CPU. However, the Point Guard module cannot be used but within a GuardLogix or SmartGuard system.(http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/IO/1734-POINT-Guard-IO-Modules) What CPU controller are you trying to add the Safety I/O module to? Edited by dmargineau

Good comments: it's sometimes hard to keep the various ways to view a network or I/O configuration straight. RSLinx Classic is just looking at the network, as is RSNetworx for EtherNet/IP. The RSLogix 5000 I/O tree is (for the most part) manually configured by the user. In v20, the method for adding newly-released devices changed from the older "add-on-profile" method to newer "EDS-based add-on profiles". Registering the EDS file *should* make the device part of the available I/O configuration list. The 1732E-16CFGM12QCR is a general-purpose I/O block, not a special Safety device. It's a 16-port "ArmorBlock" module with self-configuring I/O points that can be Input or Output points. The "M12QC" refers to M12 quick-disconnect connectors, and the "R" indicates that it has two Ethernet ports, for use in Device-Level Ring networks. My copy of RSLogix 5000 version 20.00 has that module in the available network I/O device table, in the "Digital" category.

thanks guys for the additional information. i am running 5k, vs.19.01.00 which is what the client wants as their standard. from the info i found, the quick-connect block is only compatible with 5k vs. 20. so, i am not experimenting with a Turck FGEN-XSG16-4001 quick connect module. again, i ran the eds wizard from rsnetworks and now it sees it fine. i ran the eds wizard from rslinx, but based on the thread above, 5k won't see it until i add it to 5k (bad grammar - hey it's superbowl sunday and i'm working for the man!). now, exposing my ignorance, i suspect i need to run some 5k eds wizard so this turck module shows up in the i/o tree select popup, but here's the rub - how do i do that? i looked in windows/programs and can't find any such animal.

The RSLinx Classic network device browser is EDS-based, and has been since the mid 1990's. The Hardware Installation tool is a standalone way to edit the Windows registry, store the EDS file in the RSCommon/EDS directory with the proper name encoding, and therefore make a new device visible to the RSLinx and RSNetworx browses. The I/O tree configuration in RSLogix 5000, however, is a different function. Prior to v20, the I/O tree could be populated with the pre-defined Modules as well as modules that had an Add-On Profile (AOP) created, tested, and added to the RSLogix 5000 installation. Creating an AOP was complicated and required a module vendor to work closely with the RSLogix 5000 developers. Installing them was tricky. Devices that didn't have a Module Profile or an Add-On Profile had to be created as Generic Modules, or couldn't be run as I/O by the controller. For v20, Rockwell Software rolled out a third method for I/O device configuration in RSLogix 500: the EDS-based AOP. A specially formatted section in the EDS file allowed devices to show up in the RSLogix 5000 hardware selector without going through the AOP mechanism. It's still not super-simple, but it's a lot easier than formal AOPs. This brings us to the current issue: you have a version 19.01 system, so the new A-B module isn't native to it, and neither the Turck nor the A-B modules can use the EDS-based-AOP method from v20. My research in the RA Knowledgebase suggests that the 1732-16CFGM12QCR module is really only supported by v20: Knowledgebase article ID 476471 suggests that only v20 and only a v20 AOP will work with that module. Third party devices have to be supported by their vendor. Does Turck provide information about how to configure their module as a Generic EtherNet/IP Module ?