student_uis

Cant connect to PLC with ethernet

26 posts in this topic

Hi There are a lot of topics on this forum regarding connecting CX-programmer to PLC using ether cable. Ive read most of them and still cant connect my PC to PLS using ether. I will make a detail post how i tried to connect. Please help me figure out what I do wrong. I am using Omron CJ1M-CPU12 I do not know which ETN it is. Ether it is ETN01 or ETN21. Here is a picture of my module: http://imageshack.us/f/692/img0057vfh.jpg/ Now. First of all. Should I use usual ethernet cable or crossover cable? I dont use switch/router between pc-plc communication. Here is how my I/O table looks like that I send over to PLC. http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/4705/inouttable.png Ip adress 210.210.1.101 mask: 255.255.255.0 The last 3 numbers in the IP adress I choose to give the PLC is 101. Ive checked that the node is set to 101 on the CJ1M correctly . Now my second question is. Do I have to set IP adress on my PC to a static one or can I use an auto generated one? The one it auto generates is: 169.254.179.133 and mask is: 255.255.0.0 (mask is different then the one plc has) If you look at my last picture again where I configure CJ1W-ETN21 mode. Do i have to set any adresses in "IP adress table"? or is my configuration ok? Next comes the option where I set communication settings. I set=> PLC network type: ethernet here is a picture of the settings: http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/690/networksettings.png Do I have to edit anything here like FINS destenation adress: network or node? In the driver uptions I wrote 210.210.1.101 as IP adress. If anyone would like to help me out of this, I would be really glad:)

It sounds to me like you have the basics of the module set up properly (IP address is set, subnet is set, Auto (Dynamic) is chosen and the Node number on the front of the card is dialed in to the proper number (picture looks like you have 65 (hex) set which is equal to 101 decimal). What I think is lacking here is the basics of ethernet communications. If you are connecting directly with the PLC from your laptop without a switch, use a cross over cable. Next, your IP address of your laptop needs to be on the same subnet as the PLC (if you are not using routers, ie connecting directly to it). It does not matter if you fix it or if you use DHCP, but it needs to be on the same subnet when no router is present. If there is no router, then DHCP is out of the question. So, you need to set your laptop IP to a fixed number. Since you have a class C subnet mask (255.255.255.0), the first 3 octets of the IP address are your network number. So, your laptop needs to have the same first 3 numbers. Set it to 210.210.1.xxx where xxx is a number that is not used on the network (with a direct connection, anything from 1-254 excluding the PLC which is 101). When configuring the connection in CX-Programmer, you need to set it up as shown below: The Workstation Node number needs to match the last octet of your PC (xxx). In the example above, I have set my laptop to 104. The auto detect will try to look at the last octet of your IP Address, but it will detect whichever ethernet connection has higher priority on your PC and often it will detect the last octet of your wireless connection. If the workstation number does NOT match the last octet of your PC, you need to uncheck the Auto-detect box and manually type it into the highlighted red box in the picture above. It would be a good idea to set your FINS network number so that you could use the port for other FINS communications functions besides just programming. I don't have time to explain how to do that right now, but there should be some other entries in here describing how to set up the FINS Local Routing Table. Good luck!

Link to YouTube video showing how to setup Local Routing Table. Hope this will help.

Thanks guys so mutch for helping me out. Ive learned a lot. Now I can finally connect to PLC using my laptop. Doing a bachelor project and this solved my main issue

hello student_uis

how can i contact you?

am also doing the same thing here for my bachelor project

i have stuck 2 months only for configuration for Ethernet

hope to hear you soon

thanks

On 16/01/2013 at 2:32 PM, student_uis said:

Hi There are a lot of topics on this forum regarding connecting CX-programmer to PLC using ether cable. Ive read most of them and still cant connect my PC to PLS using ether. I will make a detail post how i tried to connect. Please help me figure out what I do wrong. I am using Omron CJ1M-CPU12 I do not know which ETN it is. Ether it is ETN01 or ETN21. Here is a picture of my module: http://imageshack.us/f/692/img0057vfh.jpg/ Now. First of all. Should I use usual ethernet cable or crossover cable? I dont use switch/router between pc-plc communication. Here is how my I/O table looks like that I send over to PLC. http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/4705/inouttable.png Ip adress 210.210.1.101 mask: 255.255.255.0 The last 3 numbers in the IP adress I choose to give the PLC is 101. Ive checked that the node is set to 101 on the CJ1M correctly . Now my second question is. Do I have to set IP adress on my PC to a static one or can I use an auto generated one? The one it auto generates is: 169.254.179.133 and mask is: 255.255.0.0 (mask is different then the one plc has) If you look at my last picture again where I configure CJ1W-ETN21 mode. Do i have to set any adresses in "IP adress table"? or is my configuration ok? Next comes the option where I set communication settings. I set=> PLC network type: ethernet here is a picture of the settings: http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/690/networksettings.png Do I have to edit anything here like FINS destenation adress: network or node? In the driver uptions I wrote 210.210.1.101 as IP adress. If anyone would like to help me out of this, I would be really glad:)

Hey, I can't see the pictures, I have the same problem

You will have to get @student_uis to put them back on that site, or better yet, post them here.

1 hour ago, Michael Walsh said:

You will have to get @student_uis to put them back on that site, or better yet, post them here.

OK thank you, I have a problem, I can't connect my pc to the plc ( CJ1M CPU 22 ) via ethernet (ETN 21) , can you help me? I will be grateful

Hey again , Can you please put the pictures here ?

We can help, but we need more information.  Post pictures of your ethernet settings in the PLC and the communication settings for CX-Programmer.  Or if you have uploaded the settings with a serial connection, post the CX-Programmer file.

1 hour ago, Michael Walsh said:

We can help, but we need more information.  Post pictures of your ethernet settings in the PLC and the communication settings for CX-Programmer.  Or if you have uploaded the settings with a serial connection, post the CX-Programmer file.

okey, here is a picture of my ethernet settings. I followed the same steps in the video. Can I contact you on Gmail? 

CX supervisor settings.PNG

ethernet settings.PNG

20 hours ago, Michael Walsh said:

okey, here is a picture of my ethernet settings. I followed the same steps in the video. Can I contact you on Gmail? 

Am I doing something wrong ?

No, we will not do gmail, sorry.  We need to keep this here for everyone's benefit.  

The last octet of your IP Address appears to be 0.  You are not allowed to do that (1 to 254 is allowed).  I am kind of surprised that it will even let you do that.  Also, you have configured a class B network here, so that brings into play another issue with FINS Node numbers that you can read about here:

In the above example, he is using a 255.255.254.0 Subnet mask which creates a similar issue to what you are seeing. 

What is the IP Address of the PC and what have you dialed in as your node number on the front of your ETN21 card?

Just now, Michael Walsh said:

No, we will not do gmail, sorry.  We need to keep this here for everyone's benefit.  

The last octet of your IP Address appears to be 0.  You are not allowed to do that (1 to 254 is allowed).  I am kind of surprised that it will even let you do that.  Also, you have configured a class B network here, so that brings into play another issue with FINS Node numbers that you can read about here:

In the above example, he is using a 255.255.254.0 Subnet mask which creates a similar issue to what you are seeing. 

What is the IP Address of the PC and what have you dialed in as your node number on the front of your ETN21 card?

Thank you for your response, it's the first time that I work on this that's why. my node number is 0 (X10e0) and  0 ( X 10e1) CJ1W-ETN21 : unit 3 that's why the last octet of my IP adress is 0 :/ I didn't know that i'm not allowed to do this . the IP adress of my PC is 10.46.10.100. by the way I asked for gmail because i'm not allowed to put the CX-Programmer file here, I wanted to send it to in private 

You can zip it and put it here if nothing else.  

Well, I want to take back something that I said about the last octet not being allowed to be 0.  If you have a class B network, then the node number really is not 0.  It is hex 0A 00 (decimal 10.0) which is 2560  when converted from hex to decimal.  That must be why it will let you do it.  However, many settings for Omron FINS communications assume that the last Octet of the IP Address matches the node number and FINS node numbers can only be 1-254.  So, you will need to make some special settings.  

Again, for some background on your issue, look at this link that I posted above:

http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?/topic/25148-cj2m-ethernet-ip-error-f3/

Lets assume for my example that these are the settings you are using:

PC 

IP Address:  10.46.10.1 (we are going to assume FINS node 1 on the network), this is arbitrary, just make sure that it is not used by another node.

Subnet 255.255.0.0

PLC

IP Address 10.46.10.0

Node number dial on front of module = 06 (hex) which also is 6 decimal. This is an arbitrary number, just make sure that it is not used by another node.

Subnet 255.255.0.0

Then, you would need to set this up in the ETN21 settings:

ETN21setup.jpg.1dbe9ba9b0cd7ebd2260dc060

Make sure to download these settings to the PLC and then "restart" (button on right) the unit or cycle power to the PLC.

Then, the setup for the communications on the PC side would look like this (assuming that you do not have a routing table in the PLC, that is that you have not assigned a network number to the Ethernet network, therefore it is network 0):

590211ec9aa4f_ETNcommsNet.jpg.55dc73ab42

And the driver settings:

5902128a47dfa_ETN21driver.jpg.a84c2277ff

I just noticed that you gave me the IP Address of the PC and I missed it.  I do not want to go back and change all my pictures though.  Just change 10.46.10.1 to 10.46.10.100 in the IP Address table in the first drawing and define it as node 100 (100 again is arbitrary, but it makes sense to make it the same as the last octet).  Then on the Driver tab (last drawing), make the workstation node number = 100.

You can zip it and put it here if nothing else.  

Well, I want to take back something that I said about the last octet not being allowed to be 0.  If you have a class B network, then the node number really is not 0.  It is hex 0A 00 (decimal 10.0) which is 2560  when converted from hex to decimal.  That must be why it will let you do it.  However, many settings for Omron FINS communications assume that the last Octet of the IP Address matches the node number and FINS node numbers can only be 1-254.  So, you will need to make some special settings.  

Again, for some background on your issue, look at this link that I posted above:

http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?/topic/25148-cj2m-ethernet-ip-error-f3/

Lets assume for my example that these are the settings you are using:

PC 

IP Address:  10.46.10.1 (we are going to assume FINS node 1 on the network), this is arbitrary, just make sure that it is not used by another node.

Subnet 255.255.0.0

PLC

IP Address 10.46.10.0

Node number dial on front of module = 06 (hex) which also is 6 decimal. This is an arbitrary number, just make sure that it is not used by another node.

Subnet 255.255.0.0

Then, you would need to set this up in the ETN21 settings:

ETN21setup.jpg.1dbe9ba9b0cd7ebd2260dc060

Make sure to download these settings to the PLC and then "restart" (button on right) the unit or cycle power to the PLC.

Then, the setup for the communications on the PC side would look like this (assuming that you do not have a routing table in the PLC, that is that you have not assigned a network number to the Ethernet network, therefore it is network 0):

590211ec9aa4f_ETNcommsNet.jpg.55dc73ab42

And the driver settings:

5902128a47dfa_ETN21driver.jpg.a84c2277ff

Thank you so much for your help, i'll try this and let you know if it works or not. I just can't understand why the node number is not 0. If I do the steps that you've told me i'll be able to connect to plc directly , I don't need a switch, do i ?

num noeud.PNG

No, you do not need a switch.  Connecting to node 0 in FINS settings as you have shown above means to connect to the local CPU (through toolbus in your example above).  When connecting with Ethernet, there is no Node 0 in FINS.  That is why the node number set for FINS comms over Ethernet need to match the dial on the front of the ETN21.  If you set the dial to node 0 on the front of the unit, you will get an error (solid ERC).  Flashing ERC will still function, it just means that the last octet of the IP Address does not match the node number.

17 hours ago, Michael Walsh said:

ah No, you do not need a switch.  Connecting to node 0 in FINS settings as you have shown above means to connect to the local CPU (through toolbus in your example above).  When connecting with Ethernet, there is no Node 0 in FINS.  That is why the node number set for FINS comms over Ethernet need to match the dial on the front of the ETN21.  If you set the dial to node 0 on the front of the unit, you will get an error (solid ERC).  Flashing ERC will still function, it just means that the last octet of the IP Address does not match the node number.

ah okey, thank you. So now if I could connect Cx-P to the plc i'll be able to use Cx-supervisor too. the adress 10.46.10.1 is used by another PLC I can change the node can't I ?

18195994_813141615501112_320448981_o.jpg

2 hours ago, Nouhaila Lazaar said:

ah okey, thank you. So now if I could connect Cx-P to the plc i'll be able to use Cx-supervisor too. the adress 10.46.10.1 is used by another PLC I can change the node can't I ?

18195994_813141615501112_320448981_o.jpg

the node number now is set to 63(hex) 

unnamed.jpg

On 27/04/2017 at 6:26 PM, Michael Walsh said:

No, you do not need a switch.  Connecting to node 0 in FINS settings as you have shown above means to connect to the local CPU (through toolbus in your example above).  When connecting with Ethernet, there is no Node 0 in FINS.  That is why the node number set for FINS comms over Ethernet need to match the dial on the front of the ETN21.  If you set the dial to node 0 on the front of the unit, you will get an error (solid ERC).  Flashing ERC will still function, it just means that the last octet of the IP Address does not match the node number.

I tried what you've told me and it didn't work . I followed the steps in the video that I posted last time by connecting the USB cable to the PLC and entering the settings in CX-P then I removed the USB  and connected ethernet crossover cable. But I wasn't successful to be connected to the plc. what did I do wrong?

CX-P setting.PNG

Ethernet Pilote.PNG

ethernet settings.PNG

PROBLEME.PNG

Is your laptop set as IP Address 10.46.10.100?

Is your laptop set as IP Address 10.46.10.100?

yes, I set it when I want to connect to the plc 

Did you download all of the settings to the PLC and turn the power off and then on?

Did you download all of the settings to the PLC and turn the power off and then on?

I didn't turn the power off but I tried after to make the connection in vain. the video thaT I posted (min: 1,25) I don't know if I have to   remove the USB  and connect ethernet crossover cable. in both cases it shows me a problem ( see photo attached)