Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Omronplc

Communication with cqm1a with cx-programmer Ver. 5.0

22 posts in this topic

To anyone on here that can help! I am a newbie's to Omron Plc communication setup. I have been working on mostly Allen Bradley Micrologix controller and was never a problem getting online with any Allen Bradley Micrologix. But I just got hired to work on an Omron CQM1A Plc CPU21, I do have a full version of CX-programmer Ver. 5.0 software to work with this and for some reason I am stuck with how to go about setting my laptop to communicate with this Plc. Totally lost and can't figure out. The previous technician here left and I did not get a chance to ask more questions before hand. Anyhow, I was wonder if anyone can shine some light on this for me. I just need to get online with the Plc and upload the program to save or backup so if there's any problem down the road I can restore this back to the Plc. That's my main goal. So anyone have any ideas on this please help. I did ordered and received a cable from Omron to communicate with the Plc just need direction how to get on line to upload and backup the program inside this Plc.

Okay .................... Version 5.0 is really old so I'll try this from memory. The current version is 9.42. The cable you need is Omron part # CQM1-CIF02. It has a DB-9 connector and black box on one end with a 20 pin connector on the other end. The 20 pin connector plugs into the peripheral port on the CQM1 processor. The DB9 connects to an RS-232 port on your PC. If you are using a USB serial adapter to connect to your PC, I suggest the Omron version or a Keyspan USA-19HS. USB serial adapters are problematic and many won't work with PLC's. The connection to CX Programmer is fairly simple. Start the application on your PC and click the PLC tab at the top of the page. Select Auto Online then Direct Connection. CX Programmer will ask you if you want to save a copy of the program.

Thank you for the replied I will try that. Now the cable that omron shipped to me doesn't have the black box that you mention but I think it's a cqm1-cif02 at least that what it said on my receipt. So the only way I can use the keys pan 19hs is with newer cx- programmer?

Either the Omron or Keyspan USB serial adapters should work with any version of CX Programmer. The problem with USB serial adapters is that they don't work like a real serial port so some will work where others don't. They are dependent on the internal chipset and device driver to work and they are just not all created equal.

CPU21 have a DB9 serial port so you could make your own cable with 2 DB9 connectors

So the only way I can communicate with this omron CPU21 is through DB9 port not peripheral port? I wonder why Omron shipped me a communication that has peripheral on one end and DB9 on the other? Is there any settings I need to do with the dipped switches inside the CPU21? I was reading and it said this must set to communicate?

Does anyone have a DB9 pins layout for me to make one myself? I have seen others pins layout for Omron just want the correct one

Can you please post me a pins layout I will head out at lunch time to get 2 DB9 connectors to make the cable. Thx in advance for this

CQM1-CIF02 is the proper programming cable to use the peripheral port. Why would you need to make the DB9 if you have this? The Keyspan USA-19HS should work fine with this cable.

Omron Universal Cable Pinout from Mr. PLC.com Omron Universal Cable Pinout Hope this will help.

You can use either port, although the peripheral port is more commonly used for programming than the RS-232 port. To use the RS-232 port for programming you have to turn dip switch #5 on. Here is a pinout for the RS-232 cable. Cable C200H-CN220 RS232C.pdf

My laptop won't allow me to download keys pan USA-19hs driver, not sure why. What's windows does cx-programmer version 5.0 work with? I wonder if my existing laptop just too slow for the key span software.

It will upload the key span software and about 25% into it I get catastrophic error and everything stop.

Ok everyone, I have got the keyspan software to upload onto my PC seem like it working. But here is the problem everytime I go to cx-programmer 5.0 and do auto connect it always give me this"failed to connect to Plc" cs/cj series Com3 which is a correct com for the keyspan device 19200, none, 8, 1 Toolbus Does not matter what I change on it. Here is my set up: Keyspan USA-19hs with USB port set to com3 The DB9 male end of the keyspan connect into the female end of the omron cable cif02 through peripheral connection of the Plc. Set the dipped switch to 5 on Is this the right set up I got here. Thx everyone

With DIP switch 5 set to ON, the communication settings in CX Programmer should be SYSMAC WAY, 9600, 7, Even, 2. I remember in the older versions of CX Programmer, the Auto Online did not work very well.

Got it, but now I get a message: failed to upload expansion function and failed to upload the settings? Where and how can I fix this

Have you checked the Operation manual for the CQM1? Check the description for Dip Switch 4.

I did read the operation manual and it did stated to put Dip Switch 4 on as user instruction. I set both 4 and 5 on but still getting the same error code. Not sure what to tried next anyone that can help, please jump in on this topic and help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

According to the operation manual if my communication is correct the COM1 on this PLC should be blinking orange indicate it's communicating between the computer and PLC and I don't get that. Any idea what I did wrong on this, everyone on here has been very helpful for me and I am thankful for that, with this new job I thought if I can show the boss that I can help further with the operation then at least there is a spot here for me to work in. Anyone who can troubleshoot this problem please help!

FWIW Today I try to reconnect my laptop to my CQM1 trough a USA-19HS converter and had some problems. Because something? went wrong in the beginning, CX prog. freezed everytime a tried to make connection. Solution: in task manager, I saw my cpu was busy 100% all of the time. In task manager> processes were 2 CX***??? processes still higly active even when cx-prog was shut down. So I stopped these 2 and got easily connected. I also had to set the converter to COM1 in device manager.