Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brucechase

DH Fault when assemby edits

10 posts in this topic

I have a problem that AB has not been able to help me with. I have 2 SLC 5/04 on a DH+ going to a contrologix gateway. If I connect to only 1 of the SLCs, do an online edit, when I assemble the edits, the process comm faults and it drops off the DH. I have tried 4 different processors and the SVC command to no avail. This problem also exists on a different channel on the same gateway. The curious thing is 1 SLC nevers gives a problem, the other faults 3 out of 4 times. My polling rate from a server to the gateway is the same for all SLCs. On the gateway, I have a total of 7 channels and this problem is only on 2 of the channels. I have swapped cards and that did not help. I can go on serially without any problem. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated. BGC

Hi Bruce. I too have multiple processors on a contrologix gateway and have fortunately not experienced your problem (yet!!) I am curious as to what speed your DH+ is running at. We currently operate on my network at 56K. I have a long distance to span and most of my comms are for View programs only.

I am also running at 57.6K for my communication speed. My distances are not too long (about 200 feet max) and my data is not a lot (a 7 character bar code every 5 seconds and some data in a B3 and N7 file). The only suggestion so far is to change out all the processors from 5/04 to 5/05 and do everything on ethernet. Expensive and doesn't solve the problem. The really strange part is that I have 2 processors on 1 node and only 1 of the two exhibit the problem. I have even gone as far as run new blue hose and changed the order of the processors (different one is now the end of line), all I had after that was the same problem and lots of blue hose laying everywhere. This problem has been ongoing for more than 5 years and many people in AB have looked at it and no one has helped (yet!). I was hoping to get some help here, but it doesn't look like anyone has any suggestions. Thanks for taking the time to answer back. I will post here if I (or someone much smater than me) solves the problem.

I'm curious about the mode of failure you're describing. You said "The process comm faults and drops off the DH". Does this mean that your SLC-5/04 halts and displays a fault LED ? Or does only the DH+ channel of the controller stop communicating ? How do you recover from this problem ? Can you reproduce the problem when your programming PC is connected directly to the DH+ network instead of through the DHRIO gateway modules ? These are just a few of the questions I'd ask if I was a Technical Support guy. I'd probably be asking about the revision levels of your SLC-5/04 controller, the DHRIO modules, and the RSLinx and RSLogix software you are using.

The SLC 5/04 does not halt, it keeps chugging along. The DH+ light turns red but there is no fault light on. The processor just drops off the data highway. This happens if I am connecting through the gateway or if I plug into the programming port on the front of the processor. It also happens if I am connecting to the front of the other processor and accessing the DH+ that way (only that processor is not affected). It does NOT happen if I go serially to the RS232 port on the front of the processor (this is the only way I can do edits now). Recovery from this is not pretty. The only way is to power down the processor (ouch, ). This was first noticed in 1999 during commision of the plant. At that time it was explained with firmware rev. We were using RSlogix 3.5?? It has happened on every revision of RSLogix up to 5.50.00 and RSLinx up to 2.40.01. Actually, I think the last GTS had 6.20 (i'm not sure). We actually put a DH+ sniffer on the line and recorded all the packets. The only interesting thing was during the assembly of edits, there was nothing but jibberish on the DH+. Unfortunately, we never could find the source of the jibberish (it looked like the SLC). As for processors, I have installed a total of 5 different ones witht he latest being a manufacture date of June 2004 (that was the only free one). The controllogix cards have also been swapped with this last one being the latest rev (as verified by the AB GTS). The GTS swears the routing computer connected on the other side of the gateway is causing the problem. I just can't figure out how that computer knows the processor is assembling edits. .

I currently have 14 SLC 5/04's connected to one channel of a controllogix gateway and I have never had any issues. Sorry. Just shooting in the dark here but, is it always the same node number that has the problem? Is it always the same program? Can you try switcing the program/node to one that hasn't had this problem in the past? The only time I've had an issue is if the blue hose is wired wrong. (Sounds like you tried that to no avail) Or if RSView was communicating to the SLC's and I was trying to download over the same Blue hose. Had to shutdown RSView to download to any processor unless I connected directly to the CPU. Never had a problem with online-edits. Good Luck, I'd like to see an answer due to our network similarities. Beryl

Try this link http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/Appl...ghlight=0,dh%2B it might solve your problem Nimi

Thanks for still remembering this topic, I've tried that (in my first post I talked about the SVC command) but that did not help. Also I set the bit as described and it didn't help. This problem is still happening and on frequent occasions. I want to add another panelview on the system and wanted to go DH+ but it looks like I might have to go RIO just to prevent other problems. I'm at a lost and at times (like all day yesterday) very frustrated over what I think should be a simple system.

I had this similar problem with 26 1747-L542A processors over 4 production lines DH+ tied to a ControlLogix gateway mixed with 5/80B's. Simplest but expensive solution, upgraded to 1747-L542C's.

So are you saying that it is a firmware rev that is causing this problem? Since I only have a couple that I have a problem with, I am willing to try this. I just need to get the latest one from my AB guy and stick it in. Do you know when the series C came out? Is this a new thing? Also, how did you find out that this was the problem? Thanks Bruce