Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Evil.Genius

Flow Transmitter Problem

3 posts in this topic

We have Rosemount Vortex Flow Transmitter (Model 8800C) installed at water line. This line contains Dematerialize Water (0.5 µs) & Sea Water (60,000µs) - both type of water is passed through this line in different scenarios. Minimum flow present in this line is: 1m3/hr. Minimum Pressure present in this line is: 1.5 Kg/cm2 Upsteam Line Dia = 2” Downstream Line Dia = 1.5” (Installed TX Pix enclosed & pipe dimensions marked). LRV & URV Settings of this Vortex Flow transmitter is: 0 m3/h & 5m3/h. The major problem is, Transmitters take a lot of time to grasp the reading once the line gets empty & refill. Also sometimes transmitter get Saturated at 105% or at 45% etc. etc irrespective the flow is present or not. Moreover We have 08 transmitters installed on 8 different pumps in same fashion for the same purpose & these problems are being faced on all transmitters. Can you please suggest root cause of these transmitters problem? We have already checked Float Type Switch, Turbine type (rota) flow meter but both did not get successful. In Float Type Switch, sea water salts deposited on the floating mechanism. In turbine type flow meter, its rotor often got broken. Also please suggest any alternate type of flow detecting instrument…. Which type of flow switch would work for our application (considering Demin & Sea water presence + flow rate). [Any suitable type of Flow switch instead of transmitter would also work for our application as we just need to detect the presence of flow???]

I would suggest you look into Emerson Micromotion meter or Endress + Hauser meter I've used both in the past for much thicker material with great success.

To get a meter that will hold up in Sea Water, you are going to need an exotic alloy. Believe me I know, was in the US Navy for over 8 years. Sea water has high chloride concentrations, so Stainless last no time. You need some type of nickel alloy such as Monel ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monel ). Naval Bronze will last a while but will get will erode over time. What is the application a sea water distillation plant?