Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mendon Systems

RsLogix 500 version?

9 posts in this topic

Does anyone know offhand what version of RsLogix500 is required to to connect with a 1764LSP series C (Micrologix 1500)???? I am trying to load an existing program into a new processor. RsLinx says it is a Micrologix 1000 and won't connect to it.

Please post the file (program) you are trying to download. What driver are you using in RSLinx? What version do you have? The ML1500 has been around a long time. Edited by Mickey

I think you answered your own question. If the program controller type is set for an ML1000, it will not download to a ML1500. CHanging the controller type might result in changes in i/o that would require reprogramming. As for the version, I'm at v8.40.00 (CPR 9) and see all the ML1500 LSP's and LRP's One other thing to look at, maybe everything is correct in the program, but your RSLinx just doesn't have the correct EDS files. You might be able to upload from the device or get it from AB's site. Edited by pcmccartney1

Unfortunately it's not that simple. This program has always been an ML1500 program and has been loaded happily into several other ML1500's by this copy of the RsLogix software (Version 5.2). The RsLinx version is 2.20. It sees the 1764LSP processor as an ML1000 using DF1 protocol over a serial cable but will not connect to it. It's been a quite while since I've done anything with RsLogix so I was hoping there was something that I forgot like maybe a switch setting.

My guess is you have a newer 1500 with firmware that your really old version of RSLogix 500 does not know. You have two options, try and find an older 1500, or upgrade your software.

Yeah, that's kinda what I thought also. We have been using this same program for a machine that we build every few years for just one customer. I've been expecting this would happen eventually. I thought perhaps someone knew of a compatibility list somewhere for version levels. I really hate to buy a new copy of RsLogix knowing that I won't use it again for years.

The Release Notes for RSLogix 500 and for the MicroLogix 1500 controller tell you which versions of software are necessary for which versions of firmware. Look at the Help -> About window in RSLogix 500 for the revision information there. RSLinx Classic (Lite) is the comms driver software; upgrades to that are free of charge. Similarly, check the Help -> About window for the revision number For the MicroLogix, there should be an "FRN" number on the part number sticker. RSLinx Classic should also tell you the controller firmware details when you right-click and select 'Device Properties". For RSLinx Classic to mis-identify a MicroLogix 1500 controller as a MicroLogix 1000, I would think it has to be.more than ten years out of date. Release Notes are typically part of the "Access Level: Everyone" part of the RA Knowledgebase, which requires you to register but not to pay any support contract fees.
1 person likes this

Thanks Ken!! I was able to download a new copy of RsLinx 2.54 from the A-B site. That fixed my problem!!

I was about right; RSLogix 500 version 5.20 was released in February 2002, and RSLinx 2.20 was released in 1999. Over ten years without upgrading is, I think, pretty impressive longevity for any control platform.