Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
METSYSTEM

Is wrong to ask?

3 posts in this topic

Just been wondering, Would it be possible (and is it advisable) to source another CPU to use as my HMI? I was thinking, maybe I could use a new touch screen windows8 CPU, build a VM and run my client on this. As long as I had a DVD burner I could still log my Alarms and Trends. Any opinions?? Cheers

Certainly not wrong to ask, everyone needs to save a little cash. You certainly will save money Rockwell products aren't cheap. I would assume it depended on your application, environment, and end user skill level. Among other things.

The problem with a DVD burner aside from sheer mechanical issues, is the read/write intervals. I would think if windows 8 could boot to a runningHMI connected to yout PLCs and the network in 8 seconds or less, then it might be a cheaper alternative to the Hardware based HMI products by Red Lion. The hardware is a bit more costly, but the freedom from windows and bloatware and the best graphcis and project editor, hands down, really deserves a hard look. You can log to a memory card inserted ein a slot in a metal chassis, and if networked, have it autonaltically make back ups between its NVRAM between power cycles, and its CF card for hard storage with no moving parts, and to an FTV server forremoate backup or directly into a SQL database, or to any other PLC or automation device on the network. Then buy a bunch of tablets running windows 8 with your facvorite brower and a wireless receiver on LAN, and remote into the Red Lions from antywhere on the plant floor for $400 a pop.