Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gtidrew

Uploading program from AB SLC500 to PC

9 posts in this topic

I need some help uploading the software from my AB SLC500 to my PC for backup purposes. I have no problem getting the programs out of micrologix plc's using RSLinx and the RSLogix 500, but when I attach the 1747-PIC cable to the SLC and RS-232 port, I open up RSLinx, go to communication, configure drivers, select RS-232 devices, add new, and then auto config I keep getting a configuration failure, unable to match baud rate and parity error. I have tried all available baud rates and still no luck. Any tips or input would be a great help. Thanks all.

That's the wrong driver; the 1747-PIC requires the "1747-PIC/AIC+" driver. Which can be a real bear to get working in Windows. It doesn't work with general-purpose USB/RS232 converters, and the XP Service Pack 3 breaks it. It doesn't work at all with Windows Vista or Windows 7. You can try to use the 1747-PIC/AIC+ (there are some tips and tricks at PLCTalk.net, especially) or use the USB version, the 1747-UIC.

What version of windows are you using? What Processor? PIC drivers are not compatible with Windows XP SP3. If you are running windows sp 2 or lower you should be good. 1. In the Configure Drivers window, check under Configured Drivers. Are there any AB_DF1 or AB_PIC drivers already configured? All of these will have to be deleted to configure your new driver. 2. Click the drop down arrow next to the Available Driver Types box and the following list will appear: 3. Click on the 1747-PIC/AIC+ Driver and then click the Add New... button to the right of the list. 4. The next window to appear will be Add New RSLinx Driver. Leave the default name of AB_PIC-1 and click OK. 5. The Configure PIC/AIC+ Device window will now appear(This window will be different in Windows 2000): You must make sure the right Comm Port (1 or 2), Baud Rate (default is 19200), Station Number (00), and Max. Station Number (31 is default) are chosen and click OK. 6. Close the Configure Drivers window. 7. Minimize RSLinx and open RSLogix. 8. If you have a copy of the project on your computer, on the main toolbar go to File, Open, choose the project.RSS file, and click on the open button. 9. On the main toolbar, go to Comms, System Comms....and click on the AB_DF1-1 driver on left-hand side of the screen. 10. The right-hand side of the screen will then display a picture of your computer and the processor you are communicating with If your processor has a red X on it or does not appear at all, communication has not been established. Check you cables. Hope this will help
1 person likes this

First off thank you for the responses. I am running WindowsXp SP3 and trying to talk to a SLC500 1746-A2. I tried using the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver and got a fatal error initializing driver after a windows compatibility warning. I'm reloading another PC now and will make sure it does not have anything past WindowsXP SP2, as It seems that is the problem. Thanks again and I will re-post when I have more results.

There is a fix for SP3 issues with that driver, see link. http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=51959
1 person likes this

Well I finally got a chance to load WinXp SP1 onto an old vista laptop we had laying around and was eager to get comms going with the SLC500's. Unfortunately when configuring drivers in RSlinx I get the following message, "Auto configuration succesful, however RSlinx was unable to identify the device". I get this message when I connect to the SLC500 and the micrologix. Once again any help with this would be appreciated.

What version of RsLinx are you using?

Good question, I just checked and my PC running WinXP SP3 has RSLinx version 2.43.01.23 (CPR6). This computer communicates with the micrologix just fine. The PC I just re-loaded WinXP SP1 (to comm with the SLC 500's) has version 2.10.118.0.

I loaded RSLnx lite pro on my win XP SP1 machine and was able to establish communication with the SLC500's, thanks for the help guys. Edited by gtidrew
1 person likes this