Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Glenikins

Mitsubishi F1 PLC variations

13 posts in this topic

Hi all, I've become responsible for a small control system using a Mitsubishi F1-60MR PLC and so I'm spending a bit of time getting to know it, with a view to purchasing a spare at some point, programming software etc. One thing I've not yet been able to work out is what the last part of the full model numbers means. I see these PLCs listed online as F1-60MR-ES or F1-60MR-UL. What's the difference between an -ES and a -UL? If anyone can help I'd be grateful. Regards, Glen

Hello, x/ES - Power supply, Input/output type: Connection on terminal block UL - Classification 1: None: Not compliant with standard UL:Compliant with standard

Keep in mind that unit went obsolete over 15 years ago, so you need to be considering transitioning to a new modern unit not learning how to program an F1. You should be looking at an FX3G or FX3U.

Thanks Mark. Do you know what other connection options the unit came with (other than terminal block) and what the model number suffices were?

Hi Crossbow, Thanks very much for the info. The functions that the unit carries out will probably eventually be subsumed within a DCS system, so I "just" need to keep the existing system up and running until that happens (3-5 years), hence the search for a suitable spare, plus programming software, programming interface (lead), etc. Having said that, if I did want to upgrade to a current model, do you know how straightforward that would be? For example would the logic need to be re-written in the new PLC or are there tools to transfer the original logic, is the footprint the same, are the connections the same, etc.?

Hello, Too many to list. I just looked in the manual for the information.

If you can find the serial adapter (this module doesn't have a serial port) F2-20GF1 you can upload with the old DOS based MEDOC software. In there, you can convert it to an FX PLC. Then you can use the FX PLC program in GX Developer or GX Works2 to bring it up to the current models. But the serial adapter and cables have been obsolete for 10 years too. Good luck finding one.

Crossbow. You just prompted me to ask whether it is possible to convert an F1/F2 programme to FX if it contains any special function instructions. I have never tried this but it doesn't seem likely.

Crossbow will correct me if I'm wrong but I cant imagine anything an f1/f2 doing as special being other than standard for later models My experience has been that Mitsubishi software is good at converting between different models i.e. f - fx or A - Q only issue can be the parameters and memory ranges

Carplet. Special functions for the F Series included all arithmetic instructions, high speed counter instructions and data movement instructions. They were entered by turning on a series of "coils" for addresses F670 upwards each of which had a constant attached to determine its precise use. This system would seem bizarre nowadays but was quite powerful at the time. The Fx series had a "proper" instruction set so there was no trace of the old system left. I am not sure what Medoc would do if asked to convert the old instructions into FX instructions and unfortunately I have no way of trying to find out at the moment

I was thinking exactly the same thing as andybr. I have only ever converted one F1 program to FX and I had to use an old 'brown' F1 programming book to understand what was going on. This was done by hand - not auto-convert and even then, I didn't understand half the special coils/instructions. I got what I could from the ladder and then programmed the rest 'to taste'. If I had to do it again I would just start a brand new program from scratch.

I've personally never had to convert one with special functions, just logic, so I don't know.

From memory it didnot comvert them that part of the program you had to convert manually. But it was a long time ago when I was converting these programmes. Rodney