Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IO_Rack

CX Supervisor Ver 1.1

5 posts in this topic

I'm going to attempt to transfer a runtime application from one PC to another. Let's say, the customer has a working dongle but does NOT have the original CD with the license key. Will the dongle override this or otherwise take of it? If not, what are my options without the original license key?

I believe you should be OK. Runtime licensing is taken care of by the dongle, I believe I never had to enter a runtime license key during software setup. The developer does need to have valid license keys upon installation though. Use the dongle installer to detect and activate the dongle, v1.1 uses the DB25 parallel dongle, have had some issues with parallel ports in the past. You might need to change some BIOS settings.

Thank you for the info. You say Ver 1.1 came with a DB25 dongle. This is good information as this may be a problem as well. I haven't seen the PC yet but most are not equipped with a parallel port these days. Have you (or anyone else) attempted to utilize the dongle with a PCI parallel port card? How about a USB to parallel port converter? That last resort would be to upgrade. I'm assuming that I'll need the development files to create a new runtime. Is this correct? I'll find out more after my site visit today. Maybe they'll have all the relevant material neatly tucked away in a filing cabinet somewhere.

OK, so I was being a bit facetious with this remark. As it turns out, the wonderful maintenance guy at this facility had everything! I did get some wrong information about the version. I verified the current running version was 1.24. He had the install disk for CX Supervisor 1.2, the upgrade disk to version 1.24, the touch screen software and development license key. I was truly amazed. Furthermore, he has backups for all the PLC programs, all the communication card programs, and network configuration files. Very rare in my experience. The new PC did have a parallel port. I installed the dongle then ran the dongle installer as PdL suggested. The entire installation and setup was easy. They have several systems at their facility, I would still be interested in others experiences with a PCI or USB parallel port for future reference. Thanks.

That indeed is rare. Thumbs up for the maintenance guy! I have used parallel port PCI expansion cards on a number of occasions. They work well. USB to parallel converters however do not. They are ok for connecting a printer, but not for license dongles.