Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gleblanc

RFQ: Mitsubishi and Vorne

3 posts in this topic

I'm looking for somebody to program our Mitsubishi Q02U PLC to interface it with a Vorne Industries XL800 display. Please see the attached RFQ. Thanks, Greg Andon Upgrade Programming RFQ.zip

Before hiring anyone I would first check to see if there's a standard serial and/or Ethernet protocol available on the display.... I've searched through their website but they've only published a small datasheet (why not the entire manual....!??!??). If there's a built-in standard protocol available you will probably save money if you simply purchase a card for the PLC instead of paying for work hours for a person which, in most cases, will be more expensive. I would personally look for Ethernet protocols if possible. And as a small comment; why would the management prefer to use the display's configuration page for configuring texts???? Don't they have any kind of centralized scada/control system?? If they do have one, wouldn't it be better to let them use the existing system and configure all the texts there, then save it to the PLC which in turn pushes it to the display? That way you can cut down on the number of software's that the personnel needs to learn and you can also control the texts in a better way (ensure that no one enters "wrong texts" and so on)... But this is of course only applicable if there is an existing management system that can integrate such features.

No, there is no centralized SCADA or control system. There is only one PLC of any size in the plant, and it controls the conveyor. The second largest PLC in the plant has 4 inputs and 5 outputs. Since there's no centralized SCADA system, putting the messages into the PLC would require walking out to the plant floor, connecting a laptop, and using GX developer. I'm 100% sure that management is not comfortable using GX Developer. Using the XL800 display means that changes can be made from any PC in the office using a standard web browser (with the right username/password). It also make it easier to change when we re-locate a sub-assembly process, or start using a different takt-time. Thanks for your excellent questions, Greg