Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
E-Stop

New to Omron....need some general info please

17 posts in this topic

Hello guys, New to this forum and Omron.... I am trying to help a friend with a machine that he has with an Omron controller. I am a retired controls guy with most of my experience on Allen Bradley / Rockwell controllers. The machine was built around 2000 and has an Omron CPM1 controller with a 20EDR extended I/O added to it. I have zero knowledge on Omrons. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. I know I need to buy cables, software, etc. and that is no problem...just need to know the platforms, revs, etc. 1. What is the difference between CPM1 and CPM1A? Machine currently has CPM1 with 20EDR I/O module added. Have seen both in my searches, but dont know the diffs. 2. Can I connect with a PC (hopefully)....what platform (XP, NT, 2000, win7) will work best and be compatable with programming software? 3. Can I use USB port or do I need serial (RS232)...would prefer USB with adapter if possible or??? 4. Which programming software and is there somewhere to download or just buy from Omron? 5. Any and all other considerations that I may have overlooked. I think this machine probably will run ok if I can just get in and take a look and see what is holding it out, some interlock, position switch, etc. but there is no real HMI or alarm function so I really need to see the program while they try to start it. Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Two key words for Google Searchs: USB-CIF02 ebay; Syswin demo

Thanks....found the cable on ebay......still looking for the Syswin.....not so available.....some of the searches indicated that CX programmer also will work....do you know if it uses the same cable.....is syswin still available from Omron or ??? Thanks again.

Both Syswin and CX-Programmer would use the same cable. Syswin is no longer available from Omron. CX-Programmer does support CPM1/CPM1A hardware.

The CPM1A is essentially just a newer version of the CPM1. Then there was a CPM2A which had a 9 pin serial port and a programming port. These are all old PLCs. CX-One Lite (which contains CX-Programmer) will support the micro PLCs including the CP1E, CP1L, CP1H family, the CPM1, CPM1A and CPM2A family and the SRM1 family. CX-One Lite will work fine with XP, Windows 2000, Vista or Windows 7. I would recommend XP Pro or Windows 7.

Thanks for all the input guys....it really helps...for now I got the cable and the syswin on the way....hope it all works with XP....like I said, I think if I can just get on line with this thing and watch it run, I can probably see whatever interlock is holding this system out.....it has an old datalogic BWS-T4-MT light curtain safety system which I think might also have some issues.....looking for a manual for that now....

Syswin will run under XP. I don't think it will run under newer OS. You can download manuals for the hardware if you need them. CPM1A manual is W317. Programming manual is W353. Please note that this manual also covers other processors. Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks GT I will do that....I will keep the forum umpdated as to my progress....I am sure I will be back for more info when I attempt to go online with the PLC to get some comms config info. It should be interesting....thanks again.

Ok...so I bought the cable and the SYSWIN 3.4 software from two different vendors on Ebay...finally received both. Headed over to the guys shop to work on the machine. I tried to install the SYSWIN on the owners machine which is running XP Professional. No Luck. CD would not auto install and when I found the .exe file and clicked on it...kept getting "Handle is Invalid" error message. Tried every different way and tried 50 different things..after I verified that the CD would install on two different PCs at my house, both of which are running XP home version. Tried.....turning off antivirus software, tried loading from safe mode, tried clean boot loading only minimal drivers and services from MSCONFIG...updated his system from SP2 to SP3....still nothing. So I know the CD works, but no luck getting it to load. The CD says I can copy it to three different floppies and go that way except this guys machine has no floppy drive so I am kind of stuck. ANY SUGGESTIONS....Anyone ever load it onto XP PRO successfully... Thanks, dave

Syswin was never a very good piece of software. The last PC I used it on was running Windows 98 so I can't help you with XP pro. Here are your options as I see it: Option 1: Haul one of the XP Home PCs from your house to the site to do the repairs to your friend's system. Option 2: Get a copy of CX-one or CX-one Lite to install on the XP pro system.

Thanks, yes I know I can fall back on one of my home pcs just to get him up and running, but still need to set him up with a programming terminal for future. The problem isnt the CD...its the XP pro box and its befuddling to say the least. Right now its just pixxing me off enough to keep at it. BUT....if I have to go with the CX...whats the diff between the CX one and the CX lite? and will they both hook up to the older PLCS? Thanks for your input.....dave

CX-One Lite is supports "micro" PLCs. I listed them in a previous response. The idea is that if you are using small inexpensive PLCs, there should be a lower cost option to program them. Thus, CX-One Lite was born.

I know Syswin will run under XP Pro. I have had two machines using XP Pro and both worked without incident. I am currently running a Windows 7 machine with XP Pro in a Virtual PC mode and it works fine. Just a suggestion, have you tried running CCleaner on the customers machine. You can download it from www.piriform.com This is a great free registry cleaner and has solved a lot of issues for me over the years. Just a thought. Hope this will help.

Thanks GT...all good info....tried the CCleaner.....great little program for free....did clean up a lot of stuff, but still no go on the CD.....as a test of the PC...tried installing the driver for the CIF02 cable from the CD that came for it...Auto play kicks in and the install program started....so works with that one ok....and the Syswin CD works on the other pcs ok....so very puzzling....almost out of options here.... Will buy the CX one or lite if i need to but will it load onto this PC...that is my hesitation....also will the cable I bought....USB - CIF02 work with the CX one or lite? I would guess it will.. It always amazes me how what should be the no brainer very simple step turns out to be a butt kicking show stopper.

Here is a thought, it is only a suggestion. Contact your local Omron distributor. It appears that AA Electric in Lakeland, FL would be the closest. Their phone number is 800-237-8274. Ask them if they can get you a 30 day Trial version of CX-One. This should allow you to load the software and do some testing. If the trial version has a problem loading, guessing you would have the same issue with the regular version. Hope this will help.

That is a great idea...thanks!! BUT....a few minutes ago, I finally beat this thing into submission. Have been trying every reasonable solution under the sun to get this thing to load....Finally had to disable some services (Embassy Suites document manager) from Dell. This was causing a problem with ntvdm.exe (16 bit program handler). Then I had to do a "Run As" and select Administrator (even though I was on as admin and Administrator was already chosen in the "run as" box). I was stunned when I saw the thing actually start the install..... "Also loaded up the driver for the cable, checked it in the system device manager when its plugged into USB port, driver starts, gives me all the config options...so after a day and a half...READY (maybe) to try to go online and upload the program and take a look. FUN. Thanks for all the help guys.....I'll keep you posted.

Update... Software loaded yesterday....today onsite....finally figured out comms config...uploaded program, went online....of course no symbols or comments, but trying to wade thru it...making headway.... looks like machine is trying to start and MCR is dropping out due to not receiving hardwired signal from a FOX 2T022 interter that drives the spindle motor. Drive tries to start, motor rotates briefly, Inverter shows error code which I believe is LOW.V Dont have manual for the VFD of course, but this is probably low Bus Voltage, would like to have a manual...looking on net briefly, See if I can check input voltage, would love to know parameters for this drive....anyone with knowledge or manual....please let me know.. thanks