Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
avinash

RS linx classic

8 posts in this topic

Hello I m using RS linx classic 2.59, when i configure ethernet ip driver and connect my plc through ethernet cablel to laptop,the ping shows communication but my driver does not detect the PLC ? , also if i configure driver ethernet ip devices and gives ip address of plc in this as a host ip , then it detects the plc ,what shoul be the problem with first driver?

The first thing I would do is try configuring an "Ethernet Devices" in place of the Ethernet/IP driver which relies on some broadcast traffic that your network may not be allowing in. Also make sure that no firewalls or internet security software is blocking you.

This will sound weird, but I've had a similar situation before apparently caused by a bad cable. The PLC showed up in RSLinx when I used a different cable.

I dont think this is cable problem , as if it was a cable issue , then it should not have detected plc in ETHERNET DEVICES driver . My problem is that if i use Ethernet ip driver then it is not detecting PLC or HMI . BUT if i use Ethernet devices driver , it works fine...(and problem with ethernet devices driver is that u sholud know the IP address before to configure this driver)

Sorry, I didn't catch that detail. There are some devices that just will not work with the Ethernet/IP driver. You have to use the Ethernet Devices driver. Not sure if a firmware update will help or not. You might try contacting your distributor for help on that.

PLC-5/250 gateway modules, PLC-5E controllers, 1785-ENET sidecar modules, and SLC-5/05 controllers with OS500 (more than about 15 years old) use the old A-B proprietary Ethernet protocol and must use the "Ethernet Devices" driver. The EtherNet/IP driver frequently cannot work with remote routing or VPN circuits because it uses a broadcast packet to browse the network. RSLinx Classic runs a Windows firewall configuration utility when you install it to prevent the firewall from blocking browsing. If you are using another firewall, you may need to configure it to allow TCP Port 44818 to pass through.

is the firmware level of the PLC-5 also a factor in this behavior? I believe that the revision affects whether certain types of CIP communications are possible, perhaps this ia a factor?

My post wasn't meant to be exhaustive; yes, the Series and Firmware Revision of the PLC-5E and the 1785-ENET matter as well. The original poster's problem is almost certainly a firewall issue.