Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stuartjl

Connect to a siemens s7 300 using ethernet

15 posts in this topic

Hi, I want to connect to my siemens s7 300 (go online) using ethernet. Whats the best way of doing this?? is it as simple as changing your own PC to the same subnet address or is there more to it? Stu Edited by Stuartjl

You should be able to just set your computer's LAN card to the same subnet. Then select the TCP/IP driver under "Options -> Set PG/PC Interface" that corresponds to your LAN card. You should be good to go. If it doesn't work, try to ping the PLC from a command prompt. If it doesn't reply, you have a LAN settings issue.

How about with a new CPU? How do you know what the subnet address is? How do you know what the IP address is? I did an arp -a and got the IP last friday, but still could not ping it. For some reason, the arp -a is not working today. My PG settings are on my ethernet card (auto). When doing this, do I need to set a static IP address in my network settings or leave that on auto? Do I need a crossover or standard cable? Thanks. ETA: Direct connect, no router. Edited by IamJon

I've only set up 2 processors new out of the box and I used a PC adapter through the Profibus port. The starter kits we bought came with a cable that (I think) can be used for initial commissioning. The CPU may come configured for DHCP or BOOTP. I don't have the manual handy to try to figure it out. ETA: on ours, either cable works. The ports are "smart" and configure themselves accordingly. Edited by Joe E.

Just to update - I had to disable my virus protection and wireless. The funny thing about the wireless is that if I enable it then disable it, I need to reboot in order to browse to the MAC address. I could not assign the IP in S7 at all. I had to download PST for that.

For all you Siemens Rookies out there... in Step7 go to your main toolbar, select your PG/PC interface (since this thread is about going online with Ethernet, select your LAN card (I use TCP/IP Auto)) then Toolbar>PLC>Edit Ethernet Node Edit Ethernet Node is the one below PROFIBUS! then "Browse" searches all active MAC addresses, select your processor, HMI, or any IP active component. In the dialog below, you can set your IP right there....I haven't used a PC adapter for any S7-300's in years.....EVER! Click "ASSIGN IP CONFIGURATION" this transfers your settings directly to the processor. Click OK when done. Finally set your PC to the correct subnet, set your PC to a valid address, AND YOU ARE DONE! Edited by FilterWolf

That's what I tried - it didn't work. IP address would not get assigned to Edit ETH Node. Had to use the PST for that. I'm using Windows Virtual PC, and it's networked properly. Edited by IamJon

sorry, you have to switch the processor to STOP mode first

It was. It's not a problem now. Once I initialized the IP, I've had no problems connecting to it. Well, until now. I think it's broken. Waiting to hear back from tech support. ETA: Did a memory reset and the CPU's fine. Edited by IamJon

The "edit ethernet node" usually works on a brand new CPU with no IP set yet. If the IP has already been set, then it wont work. That explains why you could do it after resetting the PLC. I always just use to download the HW Config. It works in the same way that if the IP has not been set, you then browse for reachable nodes via the MAC addresses, and select the one that is the CPU you want to download to. When the CPU is new and has no IP yet, you will be prompted to accept to set the IP, and you just say yes to that. This works always, also if the IP has already been set to something else. If the IP has been set to something else, you have to make sure that the subnet allows the CPU to be reached, Apart from that there is nothing to it.

I've never been able to get the software to see active Ethernet nodes, either factory defaults or ones with IP addresses already set. With the tool built in to Simatic Manager or PST. Actually, PST says that the ISO protocol isn't installed on the NIC, even though it is. The tool in Simatic Manager just comes up blank. Siemens tech support thinks it's a problem with my firewall/antivirus software, which I can't control on this company laptop. It looks like we'll have to keep the PC Adapter on hand for initial configurations.

I find that sort of odd for an engineering co. You should speak with management to get the engineers admin capability on laptops. Firewalls and antivirus frequently need to be turned off for PLC comms.

It was a brand new PLC. I connected and set IP before I reset the PLC.

I have an admin account on the laptop (have to so I can even install the PLC software) but corporate IT folks have a bunch of stuff locked down, the Symantec software and user login administration among them. So far I've been mostly able to work around it, though it's very irritating at times.