Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sirius0

Changing the project that loads?

5 posts in this topic

I have a new runtime for a panelview 700. I can load it and it runs well. However when it resets or has a power outage it returns to the original project. What do I need to change to get the new runtime to load at power up? Thanks Chris

How did you load your runtime file? If you downloaded it via FactoryTalk View ME Transfer Utility then you'll need to do it again and check the box labeled "Run application on start-up". If you loaded it via USB drive or memory card then you have to use the PanelView Plus' menu to navigate to Load the application into memory. I'm not sure of the correct terminology as I don't have a PanelView in front of me right now. After loading your application, have a look at the application settings or start up options.

This is one of those weird things about the PanelView Plus. In my opinion, the last project that you run should be the project that is loaded at boot time. IO_Rack is correct; if you use the "run application at startup" function (and wait for the reboot), then the application is saved as the startup application. If you're selecting the project using the Configuration screen, you have to enter the "startup options" configuration screen for the PanelView to recognize that you really want to run the currently loaded project. I don't know if you have to change something or just going to the screen does the job. I've gotten in the habit of appending an incrementing number to the *.MER file each time I download it, so I can figure out if I'm really running the current revision by looking at the main Configuration screen.

Yes no doubt it is straight forward once found. I use the date as part of the name. Perhaps the run at start up option has to be toggled? i shall try this. I found that toggling worked for the RSlinx Enterprise settings even though what was selected looked right i had to unselect and select again before it would work. I have been loading via the CFlash card at the external memory slot or loading from internal memory once it is in there. Shortly I will try the transfer utillity (initially I had two HMIs and did not know which had what IP address so I used the flash and also noted the IPs whilst in the config). I am a complete beginner WRT panelview but I expect to get through it is only a computer and I am one of the 10 types that does understand binary. I even understand ternary after I waited for the bus. Edited by sirius0

With the Panelview plus, I make a habit of copying the MER from external to internal storage. Then I remove the CF card. Then I load the application. When it asks if I want to replace the communication settings, I answer yes, even though for ethernet commns there are more steps. Once the app is loaded, I go back into the terminal settings, startup options, and select run current app on startup. Then I go into the comms settings to make sure that the comms are set correctly. If the IP settings need to be changed, I must do that manually (sometimes I do this first). Then I reboot the thing to make sure it does indeed do what I expect and to make sure I didn't miss a step. Once it is up and running, I stick the CF card back in there...I like to keep a CF card installed in all the PV+ units, but don't want to make the unit dependent on it for normal operation...I don't want to always load from external storage...I want to be able to "borrow" that CF card at any time, but try to keep it installed in the unit mainly for the purpose of midnight cloning when necessary. I keep more CF cards with multiple files on them in the office, but in each PV+ I like to keep only the latest and greatest file just for that installation. We have some OEM machines with varying levels of revisions, so this helps keep us from guessing the name since the OEM decided not to use any sort of recognizable naming conventions. I could rename all their files, but they lock their code and I'd rather keep that line between what we do and what they do very distinct.