Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Richard King

1747-PIC driver won't startup

8 posts in this topic

I added the 1747-PIC driver to my RSLINX lite configure drivers screen but it will not highlight the start button. When i try to go online from RSLOGIX500 with a program that is using the PIC driver i get the message [fatal error initializing PIC device driver] i get a message after that saying that [node not found or driver not started]. When i check the configure drivers screen in RSLINX i find that the driver has not been started. RSLINX is running as an application and RSI Directory server has 1 client. The strange part of all of this is about 6 months i added this driver and had no problems getting online to the cpu.

Look at the first three files here: http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?act=Downl...s&CODE=01&cat=5 They are video tutorials on how to connect to a PLC using RS-232. Maybe run through the same with your PIC driver. (don't pick DF1 like the video shows, pick the PIC driver). The rest should be the same. I was going to make a PIC tutorial someday...

Try checking your device manager to see if another program is trying to use the Com Port. I have also seen this problem when running RSLINX as a service. Windows XP & the PIC Driver do many funny things

I got the problem worked out by opening RSLOGIX500 but not opening any programs then clicking on the RSLINX icon i opened configure drivers windows stopped my current driver then added the PIC driver. RSLINX then displayed it in the driver list already running. The strange part of it is when i highlight the PIC driver in the current driver list the startup ,start and stop buttons still are not highlighted for use. When i'm done with the PIC driver i have to delete it from the list because none of my others drivers will start while the PIC driver is running and i can't stop it. But what the heck at least its working. Thanks to all who responded to my problem.

I found that if I have to change drivers, like from PIC to DF1 or DF1 to PIC or anything for that matter, I always shut down linx, start it up. Then DO NOT CLICK ON ANY OF THE ICONS IN THE LEFT PANE. Select the driver, delete it, create the one I want, then start the driver.

I have noticed on some drivers like the PIC you must restart the computer to release the com port.

Yup Beryl your right. In Windows 98 I remember having to restart normally. I've noticed in Windows 2000 and Windows XP, if you right click on the RS Linx service that is running in the TASK TRAY "lower right corner" and select SHUT DOWN server, then Allen Bradley kindly releases the com port back to normal. If your ever unsure who has the COM port, check in Control Panel, System, Device Manager. It will change to Allen Bradley wording when Allen Bradley has the COM port tied up.

A little tip to speed driver changes is to use the backup and restore tool, first set RSlinx to work with PIC for instance, then do a backup and call it PIC. Set RSlinx up to use DF1, then make a backup and call it DF1. You can then use the restore function to change the settings quickly, you just need to stop the RSlinx server first. Obviously you can name the files to suit, and make as many permitations as you require. PS the shortcut to the backup restore utility is in the RSlinx start menu folder. Edited by Snerkel