Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ken Moore

DL205 count pulses, what are the options?

7 posts in this topic

Hi folks, Never did a lot of work with the DL line, but I have a customer that has an existing unwinder/winder machine that uses an encoder to measure distance. Currently the encoder is wired to a panel readout and an operator watches the count and takes action when needed. The customer wants to move the counting function (and automated the actions) from the panel display to the PLC, the PLC is a DL205 and has a 9 slot chassis, with one open slot. Will I need to buy an encoder card for this application or can I use something else? I only have to count pulses, nothing else required. Thank you in advance. Ken

The H2-CTRIO is the best option. It needs to go in the main rack. You set it up with CTRIO workbench, assign memory addresses in the IO map, then monitor the address that you gave for the Output Map address. The numbers will come into the registers as Decimal (Binary) double word data type.

Thanks, I assume the workbench comes with the module.

When starting Directsoft look for 'CTRIO WB 2' in the upper left under 'Utilities'

Thanks Mr. "B"

don't forget that you will need a bunch of contiguous registers when you go to configure the CTRIO module. Also, it won't come over as 'used' registers in the plc usage viewer so its easy to run into something else being used, and conversely use a register that appears unused. Not sure what the application is, but if you'll be scaling the count a D2-250 or D2-260 supports floating point math so its a bit easier. bob

I haven't used DL either but I've perused some threads and looked at the demo software. I have noticed they have a new ethernet DL205 "DoMore" PLC with high speed counter cards...nice price, and fully free software with lots of upgrades to the older 205. http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Overview/Catalog/Programmable_Controllers/Do-more_Series_PLCs_(Micro_Modular)/Do-more_H2_Series_PLCs