robh

Moving License

5 posts in this topic

I searched around and was unable to find an answer. So before I call Omron I thought I would check here. I have one licensed install of CX-One installed on my notebook. My notebook is going to be taken by our IT guy for updates and a new battery. I need to install CX-One on my secondary notebook while the other is away. I believe that the license is for one install, on one machine. I am pretty sure I can install CX-One on my secondary notebook no problem. I am concerned because I just updated my primary notebook to the most current versions about 2 weeks ago. So...If I install CX-One on secondary laptop, and then try to update it via the web, am I going to have issues or violate the software agreement? Is this the right direction to go? Hope this makes sense. Thanks, Rob

Thank you for checking. Most users wouldn't think twice about the implications of a second install. You will not have any problem in updating the second install. There are no checks for computer hardware and the only thing you will need is your license number and product id.
2 people like this

Thanks Jay!

Hey Jay,

I understand that there are no checks of the hardware when installing the license onto another machine using the same license number and product id, but do you know if there is a process or good way to do the following without violating any license agreement:

If you are a developer/integrator and you have your license to develop the application, then when you push the code to the PLC(s) you can use only your license to do so. So... If you have a site that has a machine that you can remote into, that is connected to the PLC network so that you can push these changes or updates or monitor a PLC for temporary troubleshooting purposes, can you "push/pull" a license from a machine? similarly this would be like sending a licensed laptop to a site/facility and having it connected to do the same tasks and then removing the laptop when the tasks are completed. 

The question is essentially so that the end user does not have access to "mess something up" and to save the developer (us) from having to purchase a license for every job when we own licenses for development/troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Moos

1 person likes this

The license is for the PC, not for the PLC.  So you only need to buy a license if installing the software on another PC.  If you are using it on your PC via remote connection, that's still only one PC.

There is no network check in/ check out of licenses, nor can they be put on a PLC.

If you want to keep users out of the PLC program, you should password protect the PLC.