Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
andreik

Stepper Motor Pulse Signal Problem

5 posts in this topic

Good day, I have a little problem with my Stepper Motor and PLC. From the attached image, The Pulse signal for Stepper Motor is 5VDC. However, My "COMMON" in PLC Output is -24VDC which covers Pulse and ordinary Output signals. According to the attached excerpt from Keyence Manual, 24VDC Power Supply can be used but a current limiting Resistor should be implemented. I'd like to know if it is possible to give +5VDC to CW+/CCW+ and -24VDC to CW-/CCW- as I indicated on my diagram. Thank you very much, Andrei K. Stepper Wiring.pdf

Are you sure it's truly -24VDC, or is it really 0VDC, and mislabeled as -24VDC? I've seen power supplies where the 0V and 24V terminals are labeled -24V and +24V.

Ok, it's 0VDC or "-" signal of the PSU. So, can I use the 0VDC from 24VDC Power Supply and use it as a Pulse Output Signal for 5VDC CW/CCW? Do I need to "short" the "-" of 24VDC and 5VDC PSU's? Thanks a lot, Andrei K.

You need to have a 5V potential across the pulse signal common and the signal going to the stepper. You could tie the 0V terminals of the power supplies together to achieve this, though that isn't always best practice. I'm not the best person to ask why, maybe someone else could comment? Better idea is to either switch to a dual voltage power supply or use the step-down resistor.

Ok, thanks for the response. I appreciate it.