Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ASForrest

Compact Logix firmware update

9 posts in this topic

Hi all, I've got to update the firmware on a 1769-L32E controller this week from version 15.4 to version 20.11. I've done firmware updates before, but only ever on a new PLC. This one is in an existing plant, with several other PLC's and a HMI talking to it. I noticed in the release notes that it says that all the other PLC's trying to read/write from it must be disconnected from the network or stopped before updating the firmware to prevent ethernet traffic getting in the way. This is not an option for me as the rest of the plant needs to continue to run. There's an ethernet switch in the cabinet I'm working in that has just the PLC and the HMI connected to it, so I figure if I disconnect the incoming network cable and the HMI network cable, that will stop anyone talking to the PLC. So a basic question - if I have just the PLC and my laptop plugged into an ethernet switch with no incoming network cable, can I still see the controller on RSLinx and download the firmware over ethernet? Also - is there any other snags or hints I should be aware of before starting this process? Any issues with such a large jump in firmware revisions? I appreciate any insights - I'm still on probation on my new job so I'd prefer not to shut down a customer's factory if I can help it

Install RSL5K Rev.20 and the CompactFlash Rev.20 Controller Firmware kit on your laptop. Verify the existing system's hardware compatibility with the new CPU firmware revision. (download and install the eventually required CompactFlash control hardware firmware upgrades) Patch your laptop within the switch (matching the PC's Network Adapter settings to the local subnet); switch the CompactLogix to Program Mode and disconnect the network uplink. Upload and save the Rev.15 application file (updatind the tag database values!) Deploy ControlFlash and you should be able to update the firmware within a couple of minutes. Within the Offline RSL5K Rev.15 change the processor type to the new firmware revision one (and any other hardware upgrades); Save; Download Verify the functionality; switch to Run Mode; connect the uplink; ENSURE PERMANENT CONNECTIVITY TO THE CONTROLLER WHILE "FLASHING"!

Carefully examine the memory usage of the v15 project and compare it to the predicted memory usage of the v20 project. As the Logix operating system has evolved, some tag datatypes have expanded to use more memory; the most significant changes were in v16. As long as the memory use predictor shows 10 to 20% free memory after the conversion, you should be fine.

for the faint of heart ... first a quick question: why must it be upgraded? ... what new functionality do you require? ... but if you MUST upgrade it then you might consider this plan of attack: depending on how much is at stake (measured in money or in reputation) you might consider getting ANOTHER processor and setting that one up with the firmware and downloading the upgraded project ... once that's been set up and safely checked out in a "bench test" arrangement, you should be able to physically swap it with the existing processor in just a matter of minutes of downtime ... and if something should happen to "go wrong" (unexpected loss of communications with the rest of the plant's systems for example) you should be able to quickly reinstall the old processor and get things back on track again ... once everything has been working correctly for awhile, upgrade the old processor and keep it as a spare ... Edited by Ron Beaufort

+1 to Ron for the above. We use a unit from our storeroom to flash up and then "recycle" the older unit back to stores for the next time it is needed. My Personal Rule - Never FLash without a spare processor.

Well everything went more or less according to plan thanks for the advice everyone, it's much appreciated. "why must it be upgraded? ... what new functionality do you require? ... " Primarily, Add-on instructions. I have several pre-built AOI's for various applications, and being able to use them probably saved me 3-4 hours programming for this job. I guess I could have copied and pasted the logic but that still means going through and creating individual tags, and to me it just looks unnecessarily complicated. "depending on how much is at stake (measured in money or in reputation) you might consider getting ANOTHER processor and setting that one up with the firmware – and downloading the upgraded project ... once that's been set up and safely checked out in a "bench test" arrangement, you should be able to physically swap it with the existing processor in just a matter of minutes of downtime ... and if something should happen to "go wrong" (unexpected loss of communications with the rest of the plant's systems for example) – you should be able to quickly reinstall the old processor and get things back on track again ... once everything has been working correctly for awhile, upgrade the old processor and keep it as a spare ... " I wholeheartedly agree, that's what I've always done before and ideally what I'd have done again. It's really just a case of, I've just started a new job in a smaller contracting business that hasn't branched into the programming side of things much before, so it's my job to help build that side of the business. At this early stage in a smaller business it's hard to justify the cost of having extra processors sitting around, especially when for most of our jobs, the PLC gear is supplied by the client, not by us. Hopefully once we've started to develop things a little more and I've established a solid reputation here I'll be able to convince them it's worth the extra outlay Thanks again!

Hi guys, Sorry for jumping intot his post. I ran into a problem tonight where an L35E needed to be changed out. I had three spares but none flashed up (15.4). Most of the time I was waiting around for the Flash to complete. I am off home now of the night (on call and its nearly 1.30am, been up since 6.15am), but on Monday I will flash up my other processors. I have one question. When you get a new processor out of the box the battery is disconnected. If I do the flash, do I leave the battery plugged in? I take it I do. If not, is the battery only for the program and not for the flash upgrade? Thanks, Conor

Conor with CLGX the battery is for Program Backup not Flash ROM backup. If you're flashing a processor and leaving it on the shelf I'd pull the battery unless you're also loading the program you want to run when it is installed then I'd leave it connected. Clear as mud I hope.

Yeah, thanks Bob