Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ken Moore

Fighting the Flab

11 posts in this topic

Okay, last year I left my plant support position and went to work for a engineering services company. I have gained over 12 pounds. No more running out to view the process and see what's wrong. No more muli-floor stairs to climb. How have others making this transition coped. I have told my wife to put me on a Rabbit Food diet, but I do not know if that will work. Any hints, comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I have had similar lack-of-mobility/increase-in-rotundity issues transitioning to a more office oriented position. I have lost half of what I gained simply by cutting out all the calories I used to drink during a day. Hit the water cooler not the coffee machine. No more pop, juice ect. I averaged 3-5 drinks a day. Your avg drink/coffe with cream or sugar has 100+ calories. Weekly that is a reduction of 2000-3500 calories. Just by doing this, I had gone from 180 to 200lbs. in three months I am back down to 192 and have not had to give up food that has taste.

I drink my coffee straight, so that's not the problem. I have started to walk around the building during lunch, can't hurt. I guess there is Rabbit food in my future.

Something I didn't mention which my chiropractor told me was a good idea. While seated, you can flex your abs to not only keep your posture good and avoid lower back issues caused by sitting at a desk all day, but this is an effective workout as well. Just a thought. Someone needs to invent The Deskorcisor......

Also plenty of fibre in the morning to keep the metabolism going.

A guy I work with has one of those ball chairs. Looks like my kid's hippidy hop without the handle. He swears by it, says it is supposed to tone the belly, improve balance, improve posture, etc. -plcdp Edited by plcdp

We play table tennis. I have this just outside my office. http://deltamotion.com/peter/TableTennis/NewgyStorage.JPG That is a TT robot in the fore ground. We are good enough that we actually use all that space. I play about 10 hours a week. That keeps the lbs off.

Your body is a bidirectional totalizer of calories. Calories added when you eat and drink. Calories subtracted through metabolism. If one direction exceeds the other, you add weight or lose weight. To achieve the latter, as others have commented, it's either more exercise or less intake.

DanW, agree it's a mass balance. It's just that you do not realize the amount calories you burn in a normal day, when supporting a running plant vs. sitting at a desk pounding out PLC code and wiring diagrams.

I'm guessing you built the robot??

They make a TT robot? kewl!