Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
METSYSTEM

FTView SE

10 posts in this topic

Good day, I have just upgraded to FTView SE Ver6.10 and its lovely (Although upgrading meant I had to install a VM as the base station was throwing a wobbly) What I'm, wondering is if there is somewhere I can download the previous versions. I have a full Techsupport contract. If I have a current liscence (I.E. for my ver6) does that mean I can download all previous versions at no charge?? Now I have cracked the VM I feel that will be the way to go. Host my liscence on the Base Station (server based), then create an individual VM for each version. Please, any advise on this would be great Regards Alex

Alex, If I'm reading you correctly, you shouldn't have a need to download all previous versions. v6.10 should have all the capabilities of each of the earlier versions, you just need to select which version you want when you compile the .mer file from the pulldown. Just make sure the .mer version matches the firmware version of the panelview. Kyle Bennett

Virtual Machines are the best way to run multiple versions of FactoryTalk View Studio. I have a single Virtual Machine with branched snapshots for different FactoryTalk View SE versions. As mentioned, for FTView ME and the PanelView Plus, you just run the latest version and make *.MER runtime files of the correct firmware level to match the PanelView terminal firmware. To edit and maintain FactoryTalk View SE systems, you need to have an independent development environment. All the versions of RSView SE/FactoryTalk View SE are available through the ordinary software download web service. Start at support.rockwellautomation.com and navigate to Downloads, then Find Product Downloads and Software Updates, then Download Software Updates. You'll find that FactoryTalk View Studio is listed under the name "FT View", or you can use the 9701-VWSTENE (or other) part number to search for it. Once you've found the correct part number, there's a drop-down that allows you to choose 6.10, 6.0, 5.10, 5.0, 4.0, 3.2, 3.1, or 3.0. Make sure you've got some time on your hands; RA's downloads seem to grow and grow as they include things like IE6 and Acrobat, and even sometimes multiple copies of RSLinx Classic in a single downloaded archive. Edited by Ken Roach
1 person likes this

Kyle and Ken thank you very much for your comments. Very helpful. I will start the laborious task of downloading all versions now and building the VMs. Thanks again

Ken another query I have with regards the VMWare and multiversions of FTView SE is the activations. Ive heard on the grapevine that I can use my base station as a hosting server and my individual VM's can borrow the activation from this. Is that true?? Is there any literature on this, do I need HASP dongle, is it easy enough to warrant trying?? MAny thanks in advance Alex

For me, the activation was fairly straight forward. 1) Host the activations to the "real" computer's hard drive with FT Activation Manager. 2) Install FT Activation Manager on each VM 3) Set up a host-only network from within each VM. Note the IP address of the "real" computer on this host-only network. In my experience, each VM will create its own network with its own IP addresses. As an example, I have 2 VMs set up on my laptop, so my "real" computer has 2 VMWare network adapters. One picked up 192.168.72.1 while the other picked up 192.168.56.1. 4) In FT Activation Manager in the VM, add an activation search path. Just enter the IP address of the "real" computer 5) Refresh activations Remember to close the FT View software inside the VM before shutting it down so it can return the license. If you don't, it's not a big deal unless you need to run the software in a different VM. If you want to use a HASP, you can, and it may be a cleaner option. You'll need to install the HASP drivers on the "real" computer so it can "connect" to the VM.

Joe thanks thats realy helpful. Just to pry further; I am assuming I will need to set a static IP on the "real" computer?? Also I dont have a HASP so I was hoping not to have to use it so am pleased I dont have to. I will give that a go and see what comes of it. Thanks again Alex

On mine, the host-only network set itself up with the "real" computer having a static x.x.x.1 IP address and the VM having a dynamic address. This is fine, since the search path in the FT Activation software is set up in the VM to point to the "real" computer. This network is completely separate from and not at all connected to your real world NIC. Your "real" network connection has nothing to do with this. I haven't tried it, but I guess you could use a bridged network connection (you probably will anyway to connect to outside devices) and point FT Activation to the "real" computer's "real" NIC IP address, but for that to work you need to either have a static IP on your "real" computer or change the settings in FT Activation every time. You may also need to have the network connected, though I haven't tested this. I think adding a host-only network is the cleanest option since you can set it and forget it..

Joe, your method is exactly what I use. I haven't had to fiddle with it for over a year; the host-and-VM-network method is nearly bulletproof. Because FactoryTalk Activation uses TCP Port 27000, it's susceptible to TCP stack disruptions due to the physical state of the network connection. If you use a Bridged connection or a NAT connection, the state of your host's WiFi or Ethernet adapter determines if the VMWare guests can use TCP/IP. If you frequently switch between networks or media, like I do, this can cause FactoryTalk Activation timeouts. When you use the VM-and-host private network, the network is always considered physically connected (even though it's virtual) and it is insensitive to the actual state of the other WiFi or Ethernet connections on your computer.

Ken & Joe Thanks I will give all this a try and respond once sorted Many Thanks