Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CJD

remote IO suggestions

8 posts in this topic

I have a project coming up where I need 2 remote IO terminals (about 8 in 4 out on each) on a packaging line, to collect some IO signals to a single PLC. The PLC can be mircologix or compactlogix. Has anyone any suggestions on what terminals to use. They need to be relatively cheap and easy to setup. Non AB units would be considered. Thanks,

You will be very limited if you are using MicroLogix, depending on which version you are using your choices are none to DNet with the ML1500, the ML1100 & ML1400 do not support ethernet IO. If you want to use remote IO then you would be best using a CopactLogix processor that way you can use ethernet IO. Alan

I was looking at using 2 of Modbus TCP IO unit from Moxa (Moxa IO module) and connecting them through the Ethernet port on a ML1400 setup for Modbus TCP. Has anyone ever tried a similar approach to this, or know any issues with it. Would it be a good/bad solution for time-critical IO? Thanks

I'm just beginning with Point IO over EtherNet/IP to ControlLogix but you could use CompactLogix too. Single source is usually less hassle.

Can you setup the ethernet port for modbus TCP? I dont think that is possible. I would be very interested to know if it is. I know you can setup the com port for modbus rtu - that may be an option. I would also suggest the compact logix if it fits in your budget. Point I/O via ethernet i/p with a control logix would work. The point I/O does have a learning curve. Physical setup and wiring are strange and (in my opinion) not intuitive. Edited by PLCMentor.com

Freewave technologies has a wireless I/O product line that uses Modbus RTU. If you’re using the MicroLogix (anything but the 1000) it can be configured to be a Modbus RTU master (channel 0) and if you’re going to use the Compactlogix you would need the 1769-SM2 module which will give you Modbus RTU master compatibility. I’ve done it with both using the Freewave I/O and they both work well however the Micrologix (I’ve done it with the 1100) is a lot easier to setup. You can find info on the Freewave I/O here: http://www.freewave.com/Products/PRODUCTFAMILY/IO.aspx

WAGO makes some really nice EthernetIP remote IO racks. I've used them in the the past with ControlLogix, and it's actually pretty simple to set up. Add a Generic Ethernet Module, set up the inputs and outputs, and away you go. They're fairly inexpensive, and extremely modular.

One other thing, if you decide on CompactLogix, be sure you pick a controller that supports having remote racks. I believe the lowest option is 2 racks so you should be fine, but it's something to keep in mind, especially if you plan on expanding at some point.