Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RickyQ

ETN TCP/IP Socket Speeds

10 posts in this topic

Hey Guys, i want to get some input on something... I wrote some ladder using the TCP FB's in the library to communicate to a third party unit. I also wrote a C# TCP client for comparison, and here is the deal: When connecting with the C# client i see a new packet coming from the device every 20 ms or so. this matches what the vendor told us. However, the fastest i can get a new packet in CX is about 60ms, i did some traces and found that the Receive FB takes about 40ms to complete regardless of scan times or trigger times, I've attached a picture of the trace. What im wondering is: Is this a limitation of the FB? Limitation of the ETN? Could i do it faster without the FB? Any thoughts are welcome! Thanks!

Confirmed that the function to recv data from etn to mem area of plc has a 40ms run time.

To me there is often a lot of unnecessary error checking and the like in FBs for most applications. Also the standard FBs appear to be designed as a do all FB and there appears to be a lot of unnecessary code for a single task as the FB is designed to do multiple tasks.

I agree, I never measured the time to read the socket without the FB. it’s a question of going into the standard FB and hacking out the unnecessary stuff!

I'm new to this forum, but while I working with CP1L-EM modbus tcp server I came across this study: http://www.myomron.com/index.php?article=1523&action=kb maybe you find it useful

Can the CP1L-E range to Modbus/TCP out the built in port....

The CP1L-E PLCs do support Socket Services, and through Socket Services, they can support Modbus/TCP. Omron Europe has Function Blocks to help do this.

Excellent. You do know this means I have to change from the EasyModbus function that you wrote....

So have just had to get Modbus/TCP running as the Serial mode was susceptible to a lot of noise. Didn't take too long, which was a bonus, but using the FB's from MyOmron took a bit of tinkering... The examples didnt work straight away as expected Anyway, after some testing changing timers etc, managed to get it to work reliably (for now). Still need to put in error handling on socket closures etc, but will do some reading & come back to that.