Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob A.

1734-AENTR Question

8 posts in this topic

Hi Guys, The manual for the 1734-AENTR states that a power cycle with 888 in the switch will enable DHCP and the Web Server, etc. Then it states that the Ethernet port are disabled (there are two) and then both ports are enabled once the switches are returned to their previous value and power cycled. I'm not seeing any BOOTP activity on boot, so I assume that it has an unknown IP address. I want to enable DHCP and give it a known one and I want the switch out of the equasion. What concerns me is the the part about the ports being disabled until the switch goes back to somewhere which I don't know. Thanks for any help! Bob A.

The node address switches are factory set to 999 and DHCP (BootP) is enabled. You can reset to the factory defaults by setting the thumbwheel switches to 888 and cycling power to the adapter. Set the thumbwheel switches back to 999 (or anything except 000-255 or 888) and cycle power again. You should now see DHCP (BootP) requests on the network. Don't forget to disable DHCP (BootP) or else the address will be lost on the next power cycle.

Thanks Scott, I was expecting something like this, but the manual stops a few words short of being exactly clear. I tried the reset but did not see the DHCP or BOOTP. So I was messing around with my notebook IP mask settings. I thought 0:0:0:0 would make it easy but that was ruled invalid. After plunking aroudn a bit, I discoverd that a request had gotten through when I was not watching. So as you said, I killed the DHCP and it is now static. So it's on to the next hurdle...Learn how to turn the AENTR into Remote IO on a GuardLogix CPU. I've got a ControlLogix chassis with all 10 slots full and working and now there are a few Point IO modules scrounged up and they are all flashing like it's the holiday season. I guess it's time for my introduction to NetLogix. Thanks for the explaination! I'll write it into the manual so when I do this for real, there won't be a need for guesswork. Bet Regards, Bob A.

I need to get one of these adapters soon, so I can find out for sure if they can control across backplane extender cablings. I have gotten mixed answers from A/B people...Will have to print the manual like Bob, too, and start inserting my own notes. I am sure A/B will get all over the manual in short order. They are generally very good at on going documentation.

Hi Okie, I have a small cluster of PointIO setup with an AENTR but not configured. This will be Remote IO to a 1756-L63 GuardLogix system with an 1756-ENBT. Also, I have another Point cluster on the way with an 1734-AENT and a 1756-ENET B (which is supposed to scan IO also). I'm learning my way into this technology as fast as I can while doing some other higher priorities. If you are thinking that something does not work correctly with stringing the Point IO together, please let me know the specifics and I'll start looking for some parts. I'm going to need to string these things together is just a few months so I would be doing it eventually anyway. Feel free to use my e-mail at home. Best Regards, Bob A.

I just realized I was referring to the wrong part number in my mind while reading this thread. I am facing future projects with the 1746-AENTR, not the 1734...Doh!

I figure we are all gonna need to exchange notes about the 1746-AENTR "fix" for the ASB's going away. Just another adventure in employment...

Hey Okie, You are probably looking at a 1747-AENTR for SLC....Are those things never going to go away??? It's probably been 5 years since my last one and I still have nightmares over the @#$%^&* pic driver. At least the UIC is an hour or two faster. lol