Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drusso

PV PLus add users

6 posts in this topic

We are trying to add users using the pv plus 1000 screen. We have an admin user and want to have the ability to add lower level users only using the screen functions at the screen and not factory talk studio. Is this possible? thanks, dave

No, it's not. You can use Windows-linked Users in FactoryTalk View SE, which allows you to use Windows administrative tools instead of FactoryTalk View Studio. This doesn't work on PanelViews because they cannot authenticate to Windows Domains. Adding users to a runtime PanelView sounds like a great idea but I've never seen a situation where operations staff were given the ability to change passwords (in a FTView SE system) that didn't devolve into a password on a sticky note within a month. What is your reason for wanting to do administer Users and Passwords on the terminal itself ?

Ken, The Panelview plus 1000 hmi is connected to a Micrologix 1400. The machine is going to be located at a remote location, as in India. The company purchasing the equipment does not want a simple 1 log in for all operators level and a second log in for manager level. They are looking to log who the person operating the machine is at any given moment. All about monitoring who is operating the machine for production output and any issues. They were looking for the ability for 20+ differnt operator names - passwords to be added and removed as needed. thanks for the quick reply, dave

When I need to track production users, I assign PIN numbers that are just Numeric Entries and I manage them in the PLC code. I have a lot more success using that single-factor authentication (usually last 4 of employee code) than with attempting to key in alphanumeric usernames.

Ken jsut touches the tip o' iceberg. with a couple of PV Screens you can provide the end user with a user pin screen where pins are added and removed, you're actually adding pins to an aray in the PLC. It works well from my experience and a lot less fuss than FTView user management.

I second or third the PLC code.