Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DylanJAutomationTool

Explicit Message Sequence

3 posts in this topic

I want to collect some attribute data from a bank of Keyence sensors. The only way I can get this data through is through explicitly requesting this information from the sensor over Ethernet/IP. I have many different sensors and multiple attributes for each sensor that I need to explicitly message. I have the message block set up correctly and working but I am don't know how to set up a sequence so it will step through the sensors and attributes and read in the data that I want. Essentially what I would like to set up is a routine to read this data constantly and acts like it is being read "Implicitly". Hardware: Keyence NU-EP1 Ethernet Module Keyence FS-N10 Amplifier CompactLogix L32E RSLogix 5000 v19

I am not sure if you can programatically change the message target address or parameters between executions of a message instruction. I usually create a unige msg instruction for each sensor and attribute and then trigger them from a sequencer like the one found here for example. http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=638

Yes, you can programatically change the message Class, Instance and Attribute parameters, and the Path to the target device (String manipulation required - messy, In the posted pic, the path to the target is 1,4,2,4 = Backplane, Slot 4, FrontPort, Node Address 4 - See the screen-shots attached. But what you can't programattically do is change the Destination tag for the data you are reading. You can get over that by reading into a buffered tag, then copy the buffer tag after each execution of the MSG. Of course that means that all of the data you read has to be the same data-type, or you might be able to use COP instructions to bit-copy between data-types (not tried it but could work) - again messy. Edited by daba