Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
METSYSTEM

GEM80 to SLC500

5 posts in this topic

Good afternoon, I was wondering if it is possible to set up message instructions between SLC500 and GEM80 PLC's? Both PLCs are sat on an ethernet network and talk to a central SCADA server. However the telemetry RTU (SERCK) is due to take some alarm messages from the GEM80 but is connected serially to the SLC500. Hence the need to set up messaging Please advise and thanks in advance Alex

I'd say they won't be able to talk to each other, there's plenty of examples of people on this site wanting to message over ethernet from PLC manufacturer X to PLC manufacturer Y and unless they are using the same protocol like MODBUS TCP then it's just not possible. If you speak to the people at Converteam (what was GEC at Kidsgrove) they may be able to give you some advice, there may be a MODBUS card available for the GEM 80 in which case you could fit a PROSOFT modbus card to your SLC. The last time I needed to send info back and forward from a GEM 80 to a PLC5, I used digital signals.

Take a look at the Red Lion Data Station http://www.redlion.net/Products/HumanMachineInterface/DataStationPlus.html

Thanks for the advice, when you say digital, do you mean hardwired??? Stupid question probably

Yes, outputs from one system wired to inputs on the other and vice versa, because we were on PLC5 we mounted some flex i/o on RIO in the gem panel which made it pretty easy to do.