Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bfabling

Configuring a 1761-NET-ENI

7 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm having trouble configuring the 1761-NET-ENI. So far I've tried to configure the ethernet modules on my desk by powering them up and first running an ethernet cable, and then an RS-232 cable to them. With the former, I was able to pull up the device after configuring RSLinx. However, when I tried to upload the configuration file to the device, I keep on getting an "Invalid Com Port" error. The com port redirector will not allow me to select Com 1 (which is the port that RSLinx claims the device is connected on). Does the problem lie there? When working with the RS-232 cable, I can't get RSLogix to find the device. Is this the proper route to take? Here's what I'm working with: We have 3 skids that will communicate amungst themselves via a network. Each skid has a Micrologix PLC with a 1761-NET-ENI and a radio. None of them currently have power running to them, as they are in our shop. It appears that the manual is geared towards configuring the ethernet modules in the field, when every has been installed. Would it be easiest to power up the skids and configure an ethernet device from a radio on a different skid? As you can tell, I'm pretty lost and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

It has been EONS since I touched an 1761-net-eni. We always connected the ENI to THe PLC {Powered up} and an RS232 Cable from the PC to the ENI and used the COnfiguration Utility program to establish the IP address and Messaging Setups. Granted that was 10 years ago and RA has improved the device some. Hope my breif description proves usefull. Best advice I can give is visit http://www.ab.com/manuals and locate the ENI User manual for startup instructions.

It has been a while for me also but try stopping Linx using task manager and then try going online using the utility. I can't remember if the utility use link or not and if not Linx could be hogging the com port.

Thank you both for the help. I'm still trying to connect to the ENI, however your comments have given me more insight on different approaches to try.

I just finish working on a project that used the 1761-net eni. I used the eni utility. You can get it here http://www.ab.com/programmablecontrol/plc/micrologix/downloads.html

The COM Redirector utility has a quirk in that it does not like leading zeros in the IP address. For example, 192.168.2.010 should be 192.168.2.10 This is documented in one Rockwell knowledgebase article, but not, unfortunately, the one titled 'Troubleshooting the 1761-NET-ENI'.

Data-Linc Group makes a device that can be used in place of the NET-ENI and is much easier to setup. It’s the NET620. They also have a radio modem that has the NET620 functionality built in so if the device is located remotely you can make the connection wirelessly and still do the Ethernet to DF1 bridging.