Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cekann

Ethernet, 1761-NET-ENI, and SLC5/03

7 posts in this topic

I have a limited network set up with ehternet. I have 2 MicroLogix 1100 reading MSGs from a SLC 5/03 connected by a 1761-NET-ENI. Also connected to this network is a Red Lion Controls ProducTivity unit reading also from the one SLC 5/03. I've had it running for about a month an I tried to add MSGing from a SLC 5/05 (w/ embedded Ethernet). Since I've done this (and have backed off too), I cannot get online over the ethernet as I once had with the 5/03 through RS Linx. I think I overwhelmed the 1761-NET-ENI with too many MSGs. I removed the MSG from the SLC 5/05 and set the 2 MicroLogix to only read every second - but still can't go online with RS Linx. Anyone have any thoughts?

Some changes to RSLinx, maybe. See pdf below, it may help. It can't hurt to try it. EditsFail.pdf

I don't have the specs in front of me but I believe the 1761-NET-ENI can only handle 3 connections. These connections include your PC with RSLogix.

Mickey, - Thanks, I have looked at those settings for a different reason but not for this one. IO Rack - I looked in the documentation and you're close. The NET-ENI can have 6 concurent connections - 2 incoming, 2 outgoing, and 2 both. I probably exceeded that. I just have to figure out how o back out of it. I plan on redirecting most of the communications to the SLC 5/05. Thanks

A couple of ideas: 1) Use a browser to view the web page of the NET-ENI. You should be able to see the number of active connections that way to know for sure that is what is going on. 2) Instead of MSGs, have the Red Lion handle the data exchange between devices with gateway blocks. 3) Trade the NET-ENI for a Digi One IAP. We have had considerably better performance from the Digi's. I don't know of a connection limit with them, although the serial side can still be a bottleneck. Paul Edited by OkiePC

I had a chance to check it out today and I have 4 incoming messages to the NET-ENI. Now I want to get the one from the SLC 5/05 to let go. I took out the code in the ladder but the connection persists which is causing my problem. Does anyone know how to clear off old IP addresses from the NET-ENI?

Yes, I think it depends on your 5/05 MSG inactivity timeout setting which defaults to 30 minutes. I went down this road once, and before I figured that out, I became impatient and power cycled the unit. Not sure for the NET-ENI...I would suggest power cycling it or simply wait. Given enough time, it should clear those unused connections. Edited by OkiePC