Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Conor

Hours run calculation

27 posts in this topic

Exactly the point I tried to make earlier when I used the saying "Horses for Courses". It's an expression that means (amongst other things) "use the right tools for the job". I cannot see the need to get sub-second accuracy when timing motor hours run. Whats going to happen when the setpoint is reached? Is there a maintenance engineer sitting at the hmi or scada waiting for that magical moment when a pump has run for 7000 hours so he can leap into action and swap it out? No, that is absurd. More likely we will be setting an alarm that says "Mxxx Maintenance Required", and that might get actioned within a month or so. The need for accurate timing has to be assessed for each application, and using accurate maths to deliver an "accumulated time" is just plain daft in many situations, and certainly so for motor "hours run". I'll quote it again - "horses for courses"

Sorry, I had never heard that one before. I thought your explanation was spot on, sometimes I just like to elaborate and try to work in a car analogy into a tech forum .