Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cekann

ASCII input to MicroLogix 1400

5 posts in this topic

I have a project where I am receiving ASCII data from an RFID antenna (which I don't have yet) to a MicroLogix 1400 (that I do have now). I have never set up an ASCII device and want to learn how and work out the bugs before I actually need to have everything installed. I have seen where people have simulated an ASCII transfer using Hyperterminal in Windows XP. I even downloaded the sample code for the scale off this site. My problem: I can receive data from the PLC to Hyperterminal but can't send the other way. What am I missing?

It's probably the mode of the Serial port; ASCII Write (AWT) instructions will still work in System mode, but ASCII Read (ARD) won't. Check to be sure the serial port is in User mode.

Forgive my ignorance: Under Channel Configuration I don't see an option for "System" Mode and "User" Mode. I am using Channel 2 protocol set to ASCII, 9600 baud, no parity, no control. Hyperterminal set the same.

My fault; the SLC-500 modular controllers have a separate "System / User" mode setting, rather than the single pull-down that includes DF1, DH485, Modbus, ASCII, etc that is on the Channel Configuration tab for a MicroLogix 1400. You'll have to post the *.RSS file for folks to have a look.

The RSS file is from MrPLC Forum Download Section under sample code - [704]RS232_Rinsum_to_ML1100_ASCII.zip. I just changed it to ML1400 and Channel 2. I downloaded the ASCII example you posted and will try that too.