Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sparkotronic

Various versions of RSView32

6 posts in this topic

Hi, a wee question, can I install 3 different versions of RSView32 and run them off 1 licence? We have Loads of pc's with various versions of RSview and it is a pain in the butt when you write a project to find that it isn't backwards compatible. It would be major task bringing all the PC's up to 1 version, so loading a few versions on the laptop would be far easier. Has anyone tried this, can it be done? Cheers

You can't install more than one version of RSView32 on a single PC. What I do with RSView32 and FactoryTalk View is maintain a VMWare virtual PC that has Snapshots, each of which has a different version of RSView (and the RSLogix versions that were current at the time). You can use a mapped drive for the old EVRSI activations, or just point to a FactoryTalk Activation on the host PC (I have a Toolkit, so I'm not sure how it would work with a node-locked license). This has been a very straightforward and reliable solution for me. In the inevitable event that I encounter a bug or corruption, I can just turn back to the original Snapshot. VMWare Workstation is the best money I ever spent on software.

How would I go about this? At the moment I use a dual boot windows PC with Win7 and XP for the AB programs. Would I be able to use the XP partition as the model for my VM and run VMware on the Win7 partition? VM's are a new concept to me!

I second Ken. I tried Virtualbox (free software) first and now I use VmWare workstation. VMWare is the best virtualisation software and now rockwell support it with AB product. I have one VM for each brand: ab, siemens, automation direct, omron and so on.

Thanks, I've has a wee play with it and it seems to be the way to go! Whats your views on using VMware as a host for an operator HMI station?

VMWare works like a charm. We have been using it for RSV32 apps for years with very little idscernable speed difference. "Whats your views on using VMware as a host for an operator HMI station?"