Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Dave Barden

Modsoft & Modbus on XP

13 posts in this topic

I have a new laptop with Windows XP perfesional. The company still has many older PLC app's in Modsoft. I need to comm with the PLC using MODBUS. I got modsoft to work by coping the files over to C:/ from a 95 machine. But modbus comm does not work. Anyone know how to make this work? Dave

Make yourself a Windows 98 boot disk and run Modsoft from there. DOS software like Modsoft will not work properly under XP. It especially will not work if you're using a USB to serial adapter. The software may appear to work, but it will never get online under XP. Has to do with Microsoft's removal of most DOS support in the XP operating system.

Did you ever try windows XP compatibility mode? Right click on the executable file, goto properties, and click on the compatibility tab. Try running in win95 or win98 mode.

I can used modsoft on WinXP for TCP/IP protocol ,also you must have modbus to TCP/IP converter and setup the driver for modsoft TCPIP, in file c:\modsoft\vsl\VLDOS.INI I used the converter of LANTRONIX UDS-10-IDP it can work but when online may be have delay time.

tried this myself and becouse of the new file system that XP uses..(NTFS) the 98 boot disk didnt work for me..becouse 98 ran from Fat32..I am trying (without much luck i might add) to try and boot my laptop from my usb stick..Dosnt seem to want to work tho..easiest thing would be to add another drive and format as Fat32 and install dos on it..Then play with bios to boot from one drive or the other..

If the hard drive was formatted FAT32 (which I do to all my machines, as some older software doesn't like NTFS), a Windows 98 boot disk will let you boot to a command prompt. You are correct that you can't use a boot disk and access NTFS partitions. Other option is a program like Partition Magic and Boot Magic. i have this on my work laptop, have WinXPPro on one partition and Windows 98 on another. Works great!

I am looking for a programme for Modsoft to download the programme from modcon 984145. Could anyone suggest where I could get it?

We use Proworx 2.20 from Schneider. We had to order from our distributor. Thanks, Roland

Could proworx upload the data from the old PLC?

the beauty of proworx over concept is that you could do uploads to the computer without the source. any documentation or comments will be lost however.

You can upload any 984 ladder logic into Proworx. But if you have a copy of the original files in another programmng software, I'd try to find a good converter. The PLCs do not store comments and symbols, so there is no documentation if you upload a program. I have converters from several old softwares to Modsoft, and then Proworx can import the Modsoft programs. Let me know if you need one. Concept (the IEC software from Modicon) can do uploads of 984 ladder logic as well. It's the IEC languages that require special consideration for uploads. IEC languages are compiled before they are sent to the PLC, and if you do not use Concept 2.5 or later and allocate memory in the CPU to store the raw uncompiled code, there is no way to upload it. Once it's compiled, the PLC doesn't care which language you wrote it in, it's machine code at that point.

Thanks for all the reply. This will help me a lot.