Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dumb Dumb

wireshark

8 posts in this topic

I have four stratix 6000 that was install by a contractor about 2 years ago. Three at the same time and the last one about a year ago. Now it looks as if the last one is causing some problems. The last two units will go offline together. If I unplugged the last unit the third unit will start to run. If I plug the last unit in, it might run for several weeks or just seconds. I had my AB rep out to look at a problem that I created when I swap some wires that I shouldn't. He said to get a copy of wireshark. That with this program I should see the IP address of the Stratix 6000 and then get to its web page to see how it is set up. I got wireshark and there is so much info that I can’t distinguish what the IP address of the unit is. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks Edited by Dumb Dumb

Since the Stratix switches are based on Cisco hardware, the easiest thing to do would be to connect to the Console port with a Cisco serial console able. They're a characteristic blue color and every network administrator has a drawer-full. One of the major reasons to use Stratix 8000 is that they'll communicate with Logix-family controllers for diagnostics and configuration. Check the I/O trees of the related ControlLogix to see if they're configured there. In Wireshark, try sorting the Ethernet traffic by MAC ID. You're looking for a Cisco hardware address on some sort of discovery or ARP traffic. Wireshark will replace the first three bytes of a MAC ID with the vendor name if it's part of the vendor list Wireshark knows about (and both Rockwell and Cisco definitely are). It's possible that the switches are not configured for an IP address in your network range, or that they are waiting for a DHCP server to send them an address. Performing a packet capture that only allows DHCP Requests, or running the RA Bootp/DHCP Utility are good ways to find out if a device is waiting to be assigned an address via DHCP.

I'm not sure that wireshark is really the best way. As there is a lot of traffic through a router but little traffic to a router. A quick look at my network with wireshark and my best bet is looking at IGMP protocol messages that are "Membership query," the source address is the address of my router. If that isn't it, the next thing is just start trying to connect to every IP address you see with a browser. Until you hit the router. (Go to Statistics...IP Addresses, that will give you a nice list of addresses.)

I concur to Ken! Get the Cisco cable, light blue, rj on one end, DB9 on the other. I have had some issues with Stratix stuff in "warm" enviroments. (Wondering if a Prosoft cable is the same pinout??) Keep us updated! John Edited by a062549

If you're not eager to learn the Cisco IOS command-line, download and install the Cisco Network Assistant software. It gets you a nice graphical view of the switch configuration at no cost and minimal effort. The default credentials for the Stratix 8000 should be in the User Manual.

SORRY my bad these are Stratix 6000 NOT 8000. Sorry for the slow response. Off Sunday and Monday. In reading through the manual I see that there is to be 2 inches between each unit. These units are placed side by side. How critical is this? Edited by Dumb Dumb

I just came up with a used Stratix 8000 and it has crashed everytime I turned it on within an hour. Today, I got serious and everything ready to do the configuration before it crapped out. When I got my browser pointing at it, I discovered that there is a temperature measuring feature and the temp was showing steady rise. When I looked at the thing laying on the workbench, that is when I realized that the thermal characteristics are not as good when it is not upright. The temp after a hour was showing 46°C. So I wipped out a muffin fan and in two minutes, the temp was at 23°C and it has run all day without a hitch. When I hung it on a DIN rail, it got to 40°C within an hour but it stayed on. I'm going to let it run all night that way. If I can get this temperature out of the box as a tag, I'm going to build a fan controller provision into the PLC. Nothing is ever as easy as it ought to be ! Best Regards, Bob A

Update, Even with the fan running, the device shutdown after 12 hours. I now have another on the test bench and it goes to about 41°C with no fan and it runs continuously. With the fan, it drops to about 25°C. Almost everything I have read regarding these things has made reference to temperature problems. How many of you can say that you are using these switches successfully and at what ambient tempreatures ? Bob A.