Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gleblanc

Time Sync

7 posts in this topic

I've got a couple of Mitusbishi PLCs on site here that I need to keep synchronized a bit more closely than their RTCs will allow. They tend to drift a few seconds a month, which gets a bit annoying when I have to go out on the first of the month with my laptop and try to re-sync their clocks with the time.gov server. I can generally get these down to within half a second by hand. I'd like to get to within, say, 0.1 seconds, but I haven't found a good way to do this yet. The best thought I've come up with is to buy a couple of those "atomic wall clocks", hack them open, and set up the alarm function on them to sound every day, and use a simple ladder rung to write that time of day to the PLC clock. I expect that this will work fine as long as the clock doesn't drift too far, but I wondered if anybody else had a better/easier idea. My biggest worry is that the atomic clock won't be able to pick up a time signal inside of the giant faraday cage that we call a plant. Thoughts? Greg

Do you have a server on site? Set up the server as Win32TimeServer (NTP server), and register the PLC's NTP server function against the time server....

None of my PLCs have ethernet cards, nor IP.

The longwave clock idea isn't a bad one. The fact that it's a super-long-wavelength signal makes it easy to receive indoors where GPS or cellular systems can't reach. If you don't have an NTP client feature in the controller, nor access to a network with an NTP server or access to the Internet, you're not going to be able to get an elegant solution. I've been investigating this with a different platform; PanelView Plus and a couple of CompactLogix controllers. So far the "best" solution I've found is a $1500 serial GPS box, but that needs an outside antenna. My challenge is that the system needs to be put in a box for three months; unpowered, that's the outside range of how long the PV+ or the CompactLogix can keep up the Real Time Clock. Upon repowering, I need to be able to automatically get the actual time, synchronize the two CompactLogix and two PanelViews, then subsequently keep them all from drifting. I saw that the Red Lion Crimson3 has a serial driver for GPS units... I wonder if it can get time from a GPS clock. Edited by Ken Roach

Great idea! I would definetively get someting that can communicate via serial connection, either a pure ascii interface, or maybe NMEA interface. Shipping industry uses NMEA a lot, and they also use serial NMEA GPS systems so there shouldn't be a problem finding those....

Interesting topic. I will watch to see what you come up with. Regarding the atomic clocks- we used to use them in our plants, but most of them had trouble getting the signal. This could have been due to cheap clocks, I am not sure. The one we had in our office never could sync after Daylight Savings Time changes unless we either took it outside or set it on a window sill. The clock was mounted on a wall about 30 feet from a wall of windows. This could point to the cheap clocks theory... Good luck, please tell us your solution when you get it.

I don't know if you've made any progress on this... I've been searching half the morning trying to find something decent. So far, I haven't found anything great for my application. I did find a WWVB receiver with an EIA-232 interface. http://www.beaglesoft.com/radsynreceiver.htm Looks like it would be quite a bit cheaper than the GPS box, and shouldn't need an outside antenna (maybe). It's a little more than I want to spend, since I'm only looking for 1 second accuracy. I've not found any cheap WWVB alarm clocks that plug in to the wall. Looks like my first test will be with something I can get for $20 shipped that runs on batteries. Depending on how much of a PITA it turns out to be, and if I can get reception, buying that receiver might turn out to be the cheapest solution.