Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bouws

Custom HMI App on an iPad or Tablet PC

14 posts in this topic

Has anyone tried to put a custom HMI app (developed in .NET) on an iPad, Android, or Windows tablet and have it communicate with a PLC? Just curious how it could be done. I've currently got a WinCE HMI running a VB.NET app and communicating with a PLC via Modbus. Wondering if this could be done on one of these new fancy tablet devices. How would you do the comms? Maybe I'm dreaming a little here. Any ideas?

I've never heard of custom HMI apps on tablets written it .NET. Besides being a lot of work, there is no reason it couldn't be done. If I had to do that I would look hard at Windows tablets first. Android apps tend to be written in Java and iPad apps with Objective C with their respective SDKs. I believe there are projects to use .NET on both platforms, but that's just another layer to deal with. For a commercial applications, the Ignition Mobile module supports iPad and Android, and I think the Windows tablet (I'm not 100% sure on that one - it requires HTML 5 with the <canvas> element support). You'll be able to develop your HMI is orders of magnitude less time than custom programming it. This concept applies to other vendors as well as opposed to custom programming. If it's a school/fun project where you have a lot of time and no deadlines, I would start out by contacting Archie on PLCTalk to see if his free AdvancedHMI project could work on a tablet. Starting from scratch (or even your current WinCE app) may lead you to a significant can of worms. Either way, good luck!

Hi Nathan, Thanks for the feedback. I haven't really done anything outside the .NET realm so I appreciate your insight. Thanks, Rob

http://www.opcsystems.net/ http://www.ingeardrivers.com/index.htm If you really want a .net HMI

Not sure if this helps but searching the google play store there is an app called PLC-5 Mobile HMI. It claims it can connect to an Allen Bradley PLC-5/40e unit. There is a free and paid for version. The free version can connect to the status registers while the paid version can also connect to the input/output data files. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jca.plc5exp&h l=en It claims no opc server or third party libraries so I assume using the ENET protocol.

It's cheating, but you can try making an hmi with a tablet resolution, installing it on a PC, and have your tablet use TightVNC Server and Viewer to use the pc remotely. I know there's a VNC viewer for android. Apple? I don't touch the stuff, so I wouldn't know, but there's probably something there.

Alternatively Intouch 2013 has mobile features for windows phones/tablets, and ICONICS x64 has windows 8 integration. Be warned though, ICONICS has a smaller available free knowledgebase. Edited by TonytheEE

What features does Intouch have, we use it extensively but not aware of the mobile features for phones....?

The Microsoft Surface Pro runs full Windows 8, so it is fairly easy to get an HMI running on that tablet. See this: http://advancedhmi.com/forum/index.php?topic=115.0

Windows Tablets would be your best bet due to them running actual Windows OS which has HMI packages readily available. Supposing you avoid the RT (Ready to Trash) line of tablets.

I like the SCADAMobile apps for iPhone and iPad. They use Modbus TCP/IP for comms.

PLC Scada Jaipur | PLC Scada Training jaipur | Automation Training Courses Jaipur | PLC Scada Automation Jaipur | PLC Scada training Rajasthan Our Mission DHP AUTOMATION was incorporated to impart quality training to automation professionals & to provide automation solution in various sectors. With the sky-high ideals and commitment to excellence, now DHP AUTOMATION has taken a shape of vibrant, dynamic and responsible training centre of the country. Since beginning DHP AUTOMATION objective is to enable each aspirant to achieve success in different automation sector. In the pursuit of which, DHP AUTOMATION has to its credit a team of outstanding faculty members including IITians, NITians and Indian army’s employees, added with the complete & finest practical labs, excellent Training methodology and a stimulating academic environment.The tradition of innovation and excellence continue with DHP AUTOMATION quality of training that it imparts to engineers its dedication & devotion towards their success in different sector of automations. PLC Scada Training Courses PLC Automation Traning PLC Training Courses Scada Training Courses Read More PLC Courses Offered Short Term Automation Course Long Term Automation Course Read More PLC Summer Training Summer Training of 25-45 Days From April to August. Read More

PLC Scada Jaipur | PLC Scada Training jaipur | Automation Training Courses Jaipur | PLC Scada Automation Jaipur | PLC Scada training Rajasthan Our Mission DHP AUTOMATION was incorporated to impart quality training to automation professionals & to provide automation solution in various sectors. With the sky-high ideals and commitment to excellence, now DHP AUTOMATION has taken a shape of vibrant, dynamic and responsible training centre of the country. Since beginning DHP AUTOMATION objective is to enable each aspirant to achieve success in different automation sector. In the pursuit of which, DHP AUTOMATION has to its credit a team of outstanding faculty members including IITians, NITians and Indian army’s employees, added with the complete & finest practical labs, excellent Training methodology and a stimulating academic environment.The tradition of innovation and excellence continue with DHP AUTOMATION quality of training that it imparts to engineers its dedication & devotion towards their success in different sector of automations. PLC Scada Training Courses PLC Automation Traning PLC Training Courses Scada Training Courses Read More PLC Courses Offered Short Term Automation Course Long Term Automation Course Read More PLC Summer Training Summer Training of 25-45 Days From April to August. Read More

SCADA (supervisory control and data acquisition) is a system operating with coded signals over communication channels so as to provide control of remote equipment (using typically one communication channel per remote station). The supervisory system may be combined with a data acquisition system by adding the use of coded signals over communication channels to acquire information about the status of the remote equipment for display or for recording functions.[1] It is a type of industrial control system (ICS). Industrial control systems are computer-controlled systems that monitor and control industrial processes that exist in the physical world. SCADA systems historically distinguish themselves from other ICS systems by being large-scale processes that can include multiple sites, and large distances.[2] These processes include industrial, infrastructure, and facility-based processes, as described below: Industrial processes include those of manufacturing, production, power generation, fabrication, and refining, and may run in continuous, batch, repetitive, or discrete modes. Infrastructure processes may be public or private, and include water treatment and distribution, wastewater collection and treatment, oil and gas pipelines, electrical power transmission and distribution, wind farms, civil defense siren systems, and large communication systems. Facility processes occur both in public facilities and private ones, including buildings, airports, ships, and space stations. They monitor and control heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems (HVAC), access, and energy consumption. http://dhpautomation.com/Default.aspx DHP AUTOMATION was incorporated to impart quality training to automation professionals & to provide automation solution in various sectors. With the sky-high ideals and commitment to excellence, now DHP AUTOMATION has taken a shape of vibrant, dynamic and responsible training centre of the country.