Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobLfoot

IPv6 Knowledge and Industrial Deployment

2 posts in this topic

I work for a fortune 500 manufacturing concern supporting Programmable Controllers and most anything electrical. For my hobby I dabble with Fedora/Redhat/Centos Linux. Recently a hot topic has been the exhaustion of the IPv4 Address stack and the eventual deployment of the newer Ipv6 addressing scheme by the major internet players. I worked through a web outfit called Hurricane Electric to get myself IPv6 certified and handed a barth of "free" IPv6 addresses from the allegedly inexhaustible number of addresses. My question is this. I'm not aware of any Industrial PLC / Equipment which supports IPv6 at this time and I get no indication from my IT Department that corporate IT is heading to IPv6 anytime soon. I wanted to open this topic as a first place to discuss and post about anything in the PLC world IPv6 related that comes up.

Old post I know.., Is my opinion that the industrial world will not need IPv6 for some time. My understanding us that IPv6 is all about devices connected directly to the Internet. Whilst there are plenty of industrial devices already connected to the Internet, these are via a modem/router of some description, some cases even cell dara modems. It is these devices that need to be IPv6 on the Internet side, the LAN side can be IPv4 for ever.. Have you seen/heard of any PLC vendors supporting IPv6? I have not & suspect they do not see the need.