Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Berna

Combox E comunication with ControlLogix

2 posts in this topic

We have a ComBox E, which is a CAN network Gateway; this device is from Atlas Copco and we are trying to communicate their compressors to our ControlLogix Controller via Ethernet/IP card. The manual says that this ComBox E communicates via Ethernet/IP; but the people from Atlas Copco say that it communicates via Modbus TCP/IP. Also, the provider (Atlas Copco) suggested that we use this communications card : Prosoft Communications MVI56E-MNET card ; we already tried this, and can't communicate as well. Does anyone knows how to communicate this devices, or has an idea to do this? I attach the Combox E manual. Thanks in advance. 9820 3582 05 User Guide MKIV Ethernet-IP 03.pdf

The ComBox devices require firmware to be loaded and activated on them: Out of the box they don't do anything. And you can't load and activate this firmware yourself; it has to be done by an Atlas-Copco technician. As I understood it, the ComBox-E could be loaded with an e-mail version, a web version, a Modbus/TCP version, or an EtherNet/IP version of the runtime firmware. I did significant research and testing with the ComBox-E and concluded that it was not usable on EtherNet/IP. It cannot pass (and has not, to my knowledge, been submitted) to the ODVA conformance testing process. My choice was to return the ComBox-E to Atlas-Copco and get a ComBox-S with Modbus RTU. That worked perfectly: Fast, simple, and easy to set up. If you are willing to attempt Modbus/TCP and can get Atlas-Copco to load that protocol onto the ComBox-E, you might have better results. I recommend using a PC-based Modbus/TCP tester like ModScan32 before moving to the MVI56 module. While my local Atlas-Copco representative was as helpful as he could reasonably be, the ComBox-E was essentially unsupported: I could not get the name or phone number of anyone able to give me more than the user manual. The ComBox-S with Modbus RTU is widely installed, clearly documented, and well supported.