Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TConnolly

Any suggestions for a good sci-fi book?

8 posts in this topic

I'm looking for suggestions on a good sci-fi novel that sticks to the laws of physics, deviating only when absolutely necessary to move the plot along, and keeping that to a minimum. One that focuses on telling a good story rather than technobabble.

The type of book you are describing would be classified as "Hard" science fiction, I'm sure a google search would turn up many good suggestions. regards, Ken

I've always had a soft spot for Walter Miller's "A Canticle for Liebowitz". In three individual vignettes, spaced 400 years apart, it traces the redevelopment of technology following a nuclear war. My favorite scene is in the middle vignette, when the chief geek of his era suddenly realizes that whatever breakthroughs he may make, they will only be a rediscovery of something that was common knowledge 1000 years previously and then lost.

I recently read "Through Struggle, The Stars," the first book from newbie author John Lumpkin Set ~130 years in the future Japan and China are in a costly space race that leads to war. The US, the UK and the EU all try to stay out of it but they are inevitably sucked in. The protagonist is a recent graduate from the Air force Academy in Colorado waiting for his slot in flight school. His plans are derailed when hostilities break out and he is assigned a temporary position as a military intelligence liaison officer, an event that will change the course of his life. Circumstances put him in a position to uncover the real reason Japan picked a fight with China and he proves himself to be a promising intelligence officer as he becomes more and more intrigued with his new career. The day comes that he will have to make a choice.

The Breach by Patrick Lee was pretty good if you like action sci fi, and there are minimal over-the-top liberties taken with technological objects, but for me it worked because explain how some of our items work if you could go back and sit down with someone quite a while ago. I have also always like Asimov. While most of his stories were full of science fiction, the story did not depend on it for anything other than location in most instances. I always thought the Foundation series was a good reflection of the forces of social momentum and why people respond the way they do. Was good to see one of his became a movie not too long ago (I Robot) although it was changed for the screen like so many......

Zero-Day Exploit: Countdown to Darkness (Cyber-Fiction) The US version of Stuxnet.

I was suitably impressed by Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy (Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars). They are tomes about the terraforming of Mars, starting with the first scientific landing party and stretching through a couple hundred years. More recently, I've discovered Peter Watts on Feedbooks, using the Aldiko app on my phone. His stuff seems pretty solid as well. Edited by JRoss

I recently read The Accidental Time Machine and the Forever War by Joe Haldeman. Both involved interesting and creative applications of physics concepts. They were quirky and deviated from the mainstream. I really enjoyed both.