Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pulsar2003

Panel View

7 posts in this topic

Hello, I have a small project with a SLC L542 and a PV550. On the PV I monitor 3 interger files and have 6 momentary push buttons. Awhile back I had purchased a 550 (2711-B5A1) and it's been strored for many years. I never made any attemtps to learn too much about RIO if not only to think of projects without moving forward. I have read many topics about it though. And yes the publication 1747-UM013B-EN-P. In slot 1 I've installed the 1747-SN RIO scanner card. The PV should be at about 50 to 75 feet away from the PLC. There will definately be no dicret nor analog I/O. I'm also aware about the M0 and M1 files. Throught RSLogix500 I was able to configure the G files. In the PLC the PV is set as the Rack 0 group 0 1/4 rack words 0 + 1. The PV communication is set as: Rack 0, module 0,1, last chassis, baud rate at 230400, SLC 5/04 OS 401, 1747-SN Series A. Because there wont be any physical I/O I'm not too certain on how to set up the M files. A hint should do I believe. The other thing I wish to know is if I can connect my laptop to the RS-232 jack and pass through to the PLC. Let say that I need to make alterations to the programe will RSLinx will be able to connect to the PLC? In this case, which wire do I need to connect to the PV's DF1 port? Thank you.

Because your 1747-SN is a Series A unit, it does not support Block Transfers, so you can only use the Discrete I/O Image to communicate with the PanelView. I recommend increasing the PanelView's I/O memory image to a Full Rack; that will give you 8 Words of Input data and 8 Words of Output data. This will be addressed as I:1.0-7 and O:1.0-7 in the SLC-5/04 memory. The RS-232 port on a PanelView Standard terminal is for PanelView application upload/download or for use with a serial printer. There is no mechanism to "pass through" from the PanelView serial port to a controller network. There are some networks and hardware that support comms in the other direction, but not via the 1747-SN.

You also should take some time to determine if this is really how you want to do this. Maybe you have the hardware and need to use it so you deal with what you have. If you have any choice in the matter, I would find another operator interface that is not RIO. RIO is a difficult medium to deal with on operator interfaces with the PLC5 that handles RIO natively. Add in the complexity of a SLC and you have made it a worse option. I think what you will create is "that system." The one that only you can deal with because it is a pain for anyone else to come up to speed with. Sometimes we have to use the hardware handed to us, but I would not suggest RIO on any operator interface and even less so with the situation you have.

I second Plcmentor, if you can, change your HMI. Use RIO only as last option.

Different views I should say. This is only a temporary project. I'm seriously thinking of Inductive Automation HMI software (which was recomended to me here for another project). Currently it is slower at work and it is definately not time to start spending so I will simply use what I got. I had purchased the PV550 on Ebay as it was not expensive and I wanted to learn how to make HMIs. Over the week end I should hook up the PV to the SLC and experiment with it. I will keep you posted on my evolution. And by the way, if I recall well, I need a "Straight" RS-232 wire to connect the PV to my lap top? Been years since.... Thank you for your help gentlement.