Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dave

Compactlogix with Yokogawa Chart Recorder

6 posts in this topic

Using a Yokogawa chart recorder DX2030 connected via Ethernet to an L35 Compactlogix PLC. I would like to mount the chart recorder on the same Ethernet network as the plc cpu, hmi and factory scada station. I need to read about 15 temperature values out of the plc and send them to the recorder. I have only seen notes referring to third party modules to achieve this (such as Proface MVi69-Mnet and so on) which work using Modbus protocol. Is there a way of making this work on the standard ethernet port of the cpu? Plant geography and costs make the added module solution a bit clumsy.

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure there is not a was to get the PLC to talk Mod bus TCP/IP to you device. The Prosoft MVI69-MNET is a good unit to use if you can, I have used a few of them and they are not that hard to setup and get working and long as you have the device's Mod bus memory map.

1. Historize the data values in the Scada system, then print out a graph? or 2. Use the Scada system as a protocol converter, Scada collects values, converts to Modbut tcp, and sends to recorder.

A quick check of the CompactLogix Selection Guide page 2 shows that the Modbus capability of the CompacLogix is limtied to it's serial port with special programming logic needed. If your Yokogawa recorder is close to the CompactLogix then a serial cable approach might work. If they're not then you'll need a modbus tcp module like the prosoft.

That's an interesting thought - trouble is, the SCADA wasn't supplied by us (not even sure what software it uses or if the client would be happy for us to modify it). The chart recorder is situated a long way from both the plc and SCADA office in any event.

Thanks Bob. The chart recorder is, of course, located quite some distance from the plc. Sod's law, as they say. Ken's idea might fly but have to see if we are able to mess with the SCADA first.