lostcontrol

USB Connection Issue

22 posts in this topic

Interesting results. I have Win7 x64, running VMWare Workstation with XP-SP3, as well as the windoze Virtual PC. When running the VMWare machine, all PLC types are recognised by the VM, & can be connected to ( disconnected from the host ). The NS is also recognised & can be connected to. When I try to go online to a CP1L/H PLC, the connection times out & brings up the standard message of: Now I thought I would check with an NS8, to try & prove USB connections/cables etc. I could connect to the NS & upload/download via USB. I also today had access to a CJ2-CPU33. I could connect to this PLC & upload/download etc all with USB. This then leads me to think that there is something odd with the way that the communications are done to the CP1L/H range. I recall when we first went to VM's, that the VM would crash if connected with USB, then disconnected & reconnected again, unless the physical USB connection was disconnected/reconnected etc. This would not happen with a CJ2 though. I have this case raised with VMWare, but they have pretty much drawn a blank on it. They managed to prevent the crashing of the VM, but to reconnect to the PLC successfully, the physical connection has to be re-done. I used to be able to connect to the CP1L/H PLC's from the VM on this host, but now I cannot. It could be due to any no of windoze updates also I guess. I would of thought though, that the USB connection method for the CP1L/H & CJ2 PLC's was similar, but it appears not. Does anyone have any similar experiences with this, suggestions on what to do to fix? In the meantime, I have to carry a 2nd machine with a XP host to service the CP1L/H range.

Cannot help you with the VMware problem Tim but why run CX-One inside a box? It is the only PLC software I do not run inside a box and runs fine with Windows 7 x 64 bit straight away. I have no issues at all with it inside straight Windows. Only thing I have to remember is to rurn the firewall off or I get nowhere.
1 person likes this

Are you running CX-One V4.1, we are still on V4.0 at the moment, but must enquire to V4.1. Apparently it is 4.1 that supports Win7x64.

I am running CX-Programmer version 9.33 and CX-Server version 5.0. Works great on Win 7 64 bit. Running on Dell Vostro i5 processor. Hope this helps. Edited by gtsuport

I am running CX-Programmer V9.3.3.1 & CX-Server V5.0.0.21 in a XP-SP3 VM. Are you saying that you are running the same on your Win7x64 Host? If so, I will install CX-Programmer & see how that functions.

Tim, you do require V4.1 of CX-One to install on 64 bit. I just obtained a copy from Omron at no charge as I have a registered copy of V4.0 - same licence number and all. V4.0 does not install properly on 64 bit due to an installation file that is only 32 bit but V4.1 is effortless and works really well. You may have to obtain a 64 bit version of the driver for the Omron USB/232 adaptor if you have one. This can be obtained from the My Omron website. Regards Bob

Hi Bob, Not Tim but another kiwi!! I will touch base with Omron about CX-One V4.1 to request a copy. The main thing that is wierd, is that the CJ2 USB connection works fine. When using the CP1L/H range, the VM indicates that the USB device is transmitting data, but the connection fails. The previous issue of VMWare crashing with the bricks but not the CJ2 caused me to raise an eyebrow, as whilst not the same problem, very similar symptons... There is obviously something different between the 2 hardware platforms relative to the USB port..

Whoops - sorry. I have not used VMWare at all - I usually use Virtual Box or XP mode. Virtual Box does some funny things sometimes too.

You are correct. I am running the above on my Win7x64 host. I have just within the past week started playing with virtual machines. Hoped it would allow me to run CAPS in a Win98 configuration, but still some issues. Trying to convert some old files for a customer. Let us know how this works for you.

UPDATE, I have installed CX-One V4.2 in my Win7x64 host & can now communicate again with the CP1L/H PLC's. I will hopefully check later today with a CJ2 to confirm that still works (which I am sure it will). I may even try the VM connection method again, after all, who knows what the install on the host may of done to windoze..

I have just obtained a new Dell XPS - 17" full HD screen, 8 gig RAM, I7 (8 cores), 7 x 64 bit, Logiteck 750 keyboard - wireless and solar powered - superb keyboard, thin too - Logiteck Performance Mouse - wireless - both connect to a unifying receiver, Intel graphics (to save power I am informed) with an nVidia 3D accelerator. Only problem I have at all is CX-D kills the graphics - but that was the case with the old Vostro with a full nVidia grahics card and it even makes my nVidia GT460 struggle on the desktop. Absolute rocket ship after it boots up and CX-One runs beautifully on 7 x 64 bit. Only 4 USB ports - that is the only problem - may have to use a portable one sometimes. The XPS has an aluminium top too so a bit more robust. I no longer even contemplate running CX-One in a box as it behaves perfectly, shuts down perfectly and does not hang onto serial ports etc, also does not put c**p all over the hard drive (Siemens is the worst - it is like a virus). I have not had any problems connecting with anything - just got on to MyOmron and got the latest 64 bit driver for the USB/232 converter and all was well. I was connected to 1 PLC via Ethernet, 1 via USB and a screen via another USB port today without any problems - a real mixed bag. I do not believe CX-One does too much damage - if any - to Windoze - I have not had a problem. The other day I was hooked into 8 x CJ2M on Ethernet with CX-P, screens via USB and of course CX-D open, Excel open, Word open, CAD Package open, Nokia N8-00 being used as a modem and on the internet, snipping tool in use, Outlook checking mail and Nightly as the web browser - 64 bit Mozilla - pretty good actually, Acrobat open from the Omron DVD we get here with all the manuals on it. I think if I did not have any crashes with that lot on the XPS there was not any damage done to Windoze by CX-One. Recommend you try it in straight Windoze as I find it works really well with everything else - there were no problems at all. Only other things I use regularly that were not open were Paint and Citect SCADA.

How are you going with it in Win 7 x 64 bit direct? Mine is working fine.

Is working with the bricks ok, tested ot on site today. No joy with comms to bricks from the VM though Sorta got used the VM environment, none of the gayed up windoze 7 appearance that XP does not have, plus being able to have multiple VM's open & 'tab view' them.. Just the preferences we get used to huh

Not sensible. Get out of the box with Omron - there is no reason to be in there. CX-One does not dirty up the hard drive with heaps of files all over the place (infection?) - it plays nice only 2 files. It does not hang on to serial ports, Ethernet ports or anything else. Even if you just install it straight in 7 x 64 bit and give it a go you will still have it inside the box as well. You will find it will run much better too - particularly CX-D which is a terrible hog on the graphics card at the best of times. You can open multiple copies of CX-P - I just do not know if you can have all 3 online at the same time - will try that onsite tomorrow.

Hi Bob, Whether CX-One is run in the box or a host is debatable & up to preference really. All depends on individuals.. For me, using VM's was so much better & provided a great environment! Being able to easily switch between multiple s/w environments without strangling the host was a massive plus!! Saying that, over time with the VM's I have had a few issues that iw ould rather not.. 1. USB connections to bricks has always been an issue, more often than not it is ok, but every now & then there were issues 2. USB downloads to NS screens was again hit & miss, sometimes would take multiple attempts to update an application.. 3. USB-Serial converters. Most of the time this was ok, but was PLC dependant! I have had a problem where I could not perform a simple program compare with a CQM1H via serial, from a VM with a USB-Serial convertor. Doing this from the host worked flawlessly first time! 4. I have had odd issues with Ethernet connections from a VM as well, seems sluggish & sometimes does not connect. I not sure if this is due to the VM, or the fact that these PLC's have touchscreens/SCADA's connected as well. I will soon find out though!! Next test is to do a USB download to a NS, my thoughts are that this will also be seemless with no issues! Since Omron is my primary s/w suite, & I now have it installed in my host, I will endeavour to use it this way more & monitor results.

Just had the same problem occur to me. It seems to a vmware usb issue. Give this a try it works for me: a.Open the vmware.log file. b.Search for the device manufacturer's name. Find a line that looks similar to: vmx | USB: Found device [name:Apple\ IR\ Receiver vid:05ac pid:8240 path:13/7/2 speed:full family:hid] The line has the name of the USB device and its vid and pid information. Make a note of the vid and pid values. c.Edit the .vmx file. Add this line to the .vmx file, replacing vid and pid with the values noted in Step 2, each prefixed by the number 0 and the letter x. usb.quirks.device0 = "0xvid:0xpid skip-reset" For example, for the Apple device found in step 2, this line is: usb.quirks.device0 = "0x05ac:0x8240 skip-reset" d.Save and close the .vmx file.

Chelton, :notworthy: That 'trick' has solved the brick issue! BUT, and I am assuming that you also experience this issue. - When connecting via USB to a CP1L/H from the VM, the first connection works fine with no problem, but if the PLC is disconnected from CX-Programmer, then tried to reconnect, it does not work. Physically disconnecting the USB cable & reconnecting solves this problem, which is a better work around than before (See next statement) - On earlier versions of VMWare, the above functioned the same, but if a reconnect was attempted without first disconnecting the hardware, then the VM would crash. I raised this with them through the support channels, & they 'fixed' something that prevented the VM from crashing, but still requiring the disconnect/reconnect. - Oddly enough, this issue does not happen with the CJ2 family of processors & USB. Interestingly enough, I have just had a follow up email from the support case, which I have not heard from them in over 3 months... In the interim, I had installed CX-One in my Win7x64 host & am getting used to it gradually.. I had become very use to the VM environment of switching between multiple OS's via the tabbed function.. I recall last year when commissioning, I would have issues with NS USB downloads hanging. I am pretty sure that this will not be evident with the install in the Host, but am yet to try in vengeance.. CX-Designer is a bit tempermental in the VM that I have, quite often crash's. On a side note, when this issue of not being able to connect to the CP1L/H arose, I tried the Win7 Virtual Machine & this also could not connect to the PLC.. I wonder if there is a 'fix' for that also. :shrug:

Had not noticed the disconnect/reconnect problem, but you are correct. I edited the vmware file again to show usb.quirks.device0 = "0x05ac:0x8240 skip-reset, skip-refresh, skip-setconfig" and all is working without errors for me. This was found from: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=774 I havn't used NS so can't help here. I'm a big fan of running in the box also. Requires much more disk space, but storage is cheap.

Disk space is not a problem these days. I always use a box for most PLC/screen software but do find it easier and unnecessary to use a box for Omron. It is certainly a personal choice. If Omron software played up and locked serial ports, sprayed a thousand files all over the hard drive etc then it would go in a box too.

Maybe my experience can add even more value to this discussion.

I've just had a similar issue with CP1L-L and VMware workstation on Windows 10 operating system. When you try to connect to CP1L using USB cable (prior to that, USB device - Omron sysmac plc is connected to VM, in Device Manager you can see correctly installed Omron Sysmac PLC Device - inside virtual machine of course), it tries for several seconds, no blinking od PRPHL led on PLC, and message appears it cannot connect, check cables etc. When you repeat, retry, uninstall, install driver, remove USB, install again, unplug physical, plug, attach, plug cable into USB2.0 port, always the same: you cannot connect to CP1L.

then I tried all the same but from Windows 7 VM, it worked. First it said it cannot connect but when you retry it's all good, online, upload, download etc.

Then I got back to Windows 10 VM (all this is 64 bit), and checked USB Compatibility settings - it is USB3.0, but on Windows 7 is, of course, USB2.0. I've changed that on Windows 10 VM and it works, same way as in Windows 7: first it says it cannot connect, then retry and it works. Cable is attached to USB3.0 port, OK, tried it when cable is attached to USB2.0 on my laptop, it works, in both cases. Spent two days on this, alas.

Hope this is of some help to anybody.

Best regards

Edited by tashinz

I have been using a VM (VMware Workstation 16 Player) myself and my Device Connection comes in fine, but once I try to connect to the PLC via USB, it times out and my device status reads:

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the driver required for this device. (Code 31) Object Name already exists.

Has anyone else encountered this?

I have gone down all possible Driver troubleshooting routes I can (64 bit driver, 32 bit, old drivers, different file paths, updating driver, etc.) all lead back to the same issue.

As there are now multiple drivers, you have to select the relevant one for your device.

You should be able to locate the driver manually.

I have had this issue when using a brick PLC, NS & NB screens where have had to manually change the driver for the USB connection