Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carlos Lima

To connect CPM1 to PC without using CPM1-CIF01

16 posts in this topic

For you to modify will have to disassemble CPM1 and to weld four wires direct in the pins of the periphreal port, underneath, for not damaging the original connector. In the other extremity of the threads you anger to install a connector DB9 female, that it should have been fastened beside CPM1. you had not needed any interface. The communication only works with Cx-Programmer any version. Adapting_the_peripheral_port_for_PC.pdf

Well, at least we got him to register. Welcome to the forum, Carlos.

Yeah.. it works! This cable works fine at a cpm1a peripheral port, but not at a CQM1. Someone knows the difference? Tks, Igor

If I am understanding correctly, you are re-wiring the ports in the PLC to allow a normal RS232 Cable? If this is the case, I would be curious as to *why* you would want to do this. Please correct me if I am misunderstanding you, but it seems to me that you would be better off making the cable instead of altering the PLC.

No... I did the cable that Carlos Lima post here. The cable conects the peripheral port of a CPM1 to the rs232 port of the pc. I try this cable on a peripheral port of a CQM1, but it didn´t work. Did u understand now? Tks for the help, Igor

Caro Igor, Tente desconectar o fio que vai ao " fog ", acho que vai funcionar!

I fail to understand why anyone would want to re-invent the wheel. The CIF is cheap enough and works without any hassles. I am afraid I am far too busy to go fiddling about with re-wiring things and wasting my time. Unless of course I am getting ripped off, as with some other brands. Some Omron interface gear used to be terribly expensive but all interface gear was the same for all the brands. These days cables and interfaces are cheap really. I can make more money getting on with the job, and the next one, and the next one than to muck around wasting hours trying to save cents. The other thing is that the Omron inteface gear is guaranteed. What you make up yourself is not. Edited by BobB

I think it's great, that people hack these things. For example without the SP cable hack, i couldn't program the SP PLCs. Where would i get a cable for them? Anyway, in the drawing there isn't any components at all. Are you sure it's safe to use? I mean that does the CPM1 have the rs232 drivers in it anyway or is it just "luck" that it can handle the voltages of rs232? Looking at for example the SPxx/SKxx cable, which you can find in the omron section (and it works fully) it has a resistor to prevent damage to the PLC. It'd probably be more safe to add the resistor like in that cable. About the CQM, i noticed from the universal cable insctructions (can be found from the omron section), that CQM has different ground pin than others. It's not directly related, cause that's for the what ever external box CQM needs, but maybe the pinout for that pin is different from the CPM in the PLC connector also. Edited by JouniK

Sigh...

Again, I think that Omron dealers would be your best bet. The only reason I could ever see making a cable is if you were making actual buss lines on an etched circuitboard or some other specialty application. Making a cable for one type of PLC from a different type leaves you with a cable that is not guaranteed to work and also cant be used in its intended manufacturing vision. To me, a hack should only be attempted if it adds something that would be otherwise impossible, not just to save a few $$ on something that already exists for cheap.

Aqui no Brasil é uma fortuna Amigo! Alem do mais, este plc já foi descontinuado. A minha intenção é ajudar as pessoas que não podem comprar uma cif. Courtesy freetranslation.com: Here in Brazil is a fortune Friend! Furthermore, this plc already was discontinued. To my intention is going to help the persons that cannot buy a CIF.

Despite Carlos Lima's excellent work on figuring out the connections to the peripheral port, it seems to be the concensus of opinion from the grey beards here that modifying the circuit board is a last resort measure for connecting to a computer. It would be our recommendation to buy the CPM1-CIF01 adapter (less than $100US.)

ChrisKozanecki no one is forcing you to use it, why are you whining? Jay, you don't need to modify the board, if you have the connector. Secondly, i wasn't talking about in a point of view of some company. Companies can afford the things, but individuals can't. A $100 for a box that has the name omron and includes 2 chips that cost around $0.01 is a bit much. Also the PLC should be designed in the way, that you don't need all sorts of boxes to program them. It's a waste of money, space, time and nerves. Try carrying 10 different boxes to be able to program different PLCs with you. It's a design flaw. Edited by JouniK

As far as i am concerned if you want to blow your 2 year warranty for the PLC and are two stingy to by the convertor or borrow one from your friendly omron rep then have fun.... If you are a serious integrator ie an individual who is extensively involved programming PLC's, then i am sure that you could pick one up up off a job etc at no cost to your self...and if you can't figure out how to do that then well enjoy working for some one else again in a couple of years.... And if it is a one off job well..as said getting frienldy with the Omron rep might allow you to borrow one for a bit.... I think you are quite clever in working it all out but hey, let me think you buggered around with it for around and hour or two, wow, your time spent on this would of enabled you to perchase the adaptor and secondly you could of spent the time doing something a bit more productive or fun.... Finally...design fault ???? considering that it is designed for the Handheld programmer as well then i can live with it. BTW i do not work for Omron or an Omron Distributor in case your wondering.... Once again, iterating Jay....sigh..... Also i am far from being a Grey Beard...

It's a design fault, cause it makes everything more complicated (needing the box i mean).