Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WKla

FX3U configuration

10 posts in this topic

Hello, I have a problem with some extension units. Hardware: PLC: FX3U-64MR (24VDC power supply); Communication: FX3U-485BD and FX3U-232ADP. Analogue extension units: 1x FX2N-8AD, 4xFX2N-4AD Digital input extension unit 6xFX2N-16EX Digital output extension unit 5xFX2N-16EYR The analog and digital extension units are installed in the above order. It looks like the limit of 256 I/O supported by the FX3U is exceeded by 24 I/O so the last 8 outputs from the 4-th FX2N-16EYR and all the outputs of the 5-th FX2N-16EYR are not functioning. Using the melsec selection tool I have observed that if I replace 3 FX2N-4AD and use 3 FX3U-4AD-ADP instead, would just solve the problem. I want to ask if it is any other problem with this configuration, or it you could advise for a better configuration. I have seen that the number of I/O can be increased when using CC link, but i don't have any experience with this. In the configuration tool, it starts with a value of 600mA for the 24VDC power supply, and after connecting all this extension units displays a value of -750mA. The PLC has it own power supply of 600mA, even if it is powered from 24VDC power source? I mention that in the current configuration the PLC and the extension units are working, minus the 24 outputs, so the power should be ok. In attach is the configuration that I want to implement. Thank you. FX3U configuration.pdf

You're cutting things very close using the FX3U. There will be little to no room for expansion. Yes, you can add I/O using CC-Link, but you would need to add a CC-Link card. You might want to consider the L-series or even iQ-series. Also be aware that the ADP analog cards are lower resolution than the cards they are replacing. Make sure that's ok for your application. With that many modules you'll probably need to power them with an outside 24VDC power supply, rather than using the PLC.

I would have concerns about the number of extensions and their draw on the internal power supply. Unpowered extension blocks like the 16 I/O ones you mention draw power across the bus, and the PLC is not rated to put out enough power for all those extensions. Consider using powered extensions like the FX2N-32ER or FX2N-48ER to boost the power. Each special module reduces the local I/O count max by 8, so yes, you are over. If you move to the left side adapter bus analog modules, you will get back the 8 points per for each of those modules, and make this an absolutely maxed out configuration Why use so many of the 4 channel analog inputs and 1 of the 8 channel instead of 3 of the 8 channels ones?

If it wasn't for the large number of relay outputs, I would recommend an L Series. But you can only add 10 modules to the L, and you would need 7 relay output cards. If you go L Series, you would need to consider using CC-Link to pick up some of this I/O as well. Low end Q CPU, use 8 point analog input modules, 32 or 64 point DC inputs, and relay outputs. You can use a CC-Link master module and use remote I/O for the analog or the discrete I/O. Those blocks come in a variety of sizes. But FX CC-Link master is only good for 8 stations.

I have tried a configuration with the L cpu, but this PLC only has 4AD modules and I have to use 6 modules. The 4 remaining modules are enough for 2 input modules one with 64 inputs and the other with 32 inputs. Even if I use transistor output extensions I have to use 2 output extesion units (64 and 16) so there is no place for the communication module (RS232 and RS485). The Q series would be to expensive. It is interesting that the L series does not make a very good job of filling the gap between the FX series and Q series. It has some options like built in Ethernet and memory card, but has this limitation of maximum 10 modules that can be used. The FX3U with 24VDC power supply has his own 24Vdc power supply for the expansion modules? Is it not using the direct 24 VDC power from outside to supply its extension modules? Thank you.

L Series supports 10 LOCAL modules. You can add additional I/O via the CC-Link or CC-Link IE Field networks. The PLC can control 4096 I/O just like the Q Series. You can add an LJ71GF11-T2 CC-Link IE Field master module, and then use a bank of L Series I/O modules and a power supply and LD72GF15-T2 to make it a remote rack on the CC-Link IE Field network. L is fairly expandable. But you are talking such large numbers of I/O and analog signals that something higher than FX3U should be considered. Of course this means the cost will rise. Can't get everything for nothing. I still think an L02CPU with a CC-Link module would be your best bet. Then connect your I/O to the CC-Link. I know there a variety of modules for CC-Link, and you can connect 64 stations to one master. L26CPU-BT has the CC-Link built in, but may be overkill for memory size and price.

Hello Everyone, 

Need help with reading channel data of FX2N-4AD with FX3U Cpu. I have added all the logic and it works also. Problem is the FROM function stop reading/fetching data from FX2N-4AD after some time i.e couple of hours and value just hang. Like 502 or something, untill you reset the whole PLC. What could be the problem.

For the further info,

-I have connected the FX2N-4AD on the right of fX3U-64M.

-There are two extension blocks FX2N-16EX and FX2N-16EYR also added to the right of FX3U-64M

-Order of mounting....FX3U-64M > FX2N-16EX > FX2N-16EYR > FX2N-4AD > FX2N-4AD

I have tried using the 2nd special module connected at the end, but It showed similar problem after few hours of running. THis shows the Special blocks fx2n-4ad are okay. There is something wrong with PLC maybe? Please help

I think it's need to cnv bus adapter ..You better to go fx3u-4ad module ..

49 minutes ago, DaranD said:

I think it's need to cnv bus adapter ..You better to go fx3u-4ad module ..

Nope, will work fine on FX3U. 

On 9/29/2019 at 6:59 AM, Sohail Riaz said:

Hello Everyone, 

Need help with reading channel data of FX2N-4AD with FX3U Cpu. I have added all the logic and it works also. Problem is the FROM function stop reading/fetching data from FX2N-4AD after some time i.e couple of hours and value just hang. Like 502 or something, untill you reset the whole PLC. What could be the problem.

For the further info,

-I have connected the FX2N-4AD on the right of fX3U-64M.

-There are two extension blocks FX2N-16EX and FX2N-16EYR also added to the right of FX3U-64M

-Order of mounting....FX3U-64M > FX2N-16EX > FX2N-16EYR > FX2N-4AD > FX2N-4AD

I have tried using the 2nd special module connected at the end, but It showed similar problem after few hours of running. THis shows the Special blocks fx2n-4ad are okay. There is something wrong with PLC maybe? Please help

Next time start your own post, this topic has been inactive since 2011.

Other than an error in the module, there is nothing that would make them stop communicating after a couple hours.  Are you certain you are not losing power and all connections are tight?

Check your code to ensure the FROM instructions are still being executed.