Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest BENHILL

Ok, What software?

15 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm new & clueless! I have the PC, I have the cable, I have an FX series PLC, so what application do I need to program the thing? Help, advice & guidance would be very gratefully received. Many thanks in anticipation. Ben.

I strongly recommend you to start with good old Medoc, if you can get it for little cost or free. Otherwise you will learn using the software long enough, instead of learning PLC programming. Edited by Sergei Troizky

i would recommend you to use GX-Dvelopper fx. it is use to program all the FX seris plc's of Mitsubishi

I agree with Sergei. Although the GX-Developer is a powerful and WINDOWS friendly program, "good old" MEDOC will run on just about anything. Be sure to use the "F1" help key often. I started on that and never had a manual. Good Luck

The only problem with Medoc is that it is DOS based and the latest PCs may not have sufficient DOS program to run it. Great shame! I have dozens of PLCs programmed with Medoc and still use it. Benhill, if you are in UK, I can let you have a copy of Medoc on two floppy disks.

Hi i'm not sure but i think Beijer sell a version of Medoc that work on Windows. The version is 2.40. bye Max

I have successfully used Medoc 1.30, 1.56a, 2.30 under Windows 3.1, 95, 98, XP. I mean full Windows, not DOS mode. It works perfectly. You can change the font in the Medoc window, if not in full-screen mode. You can also open as many projects as you need at a time and they can even be online through several different ports simultaneously. The specifics is that once the Medoc goes online through a port under Windows, this port remains occupied even after Medoc goes offline. Another programms cannot open thisz port until the Medoc (which opened this port)is closed.

What you use theree version? What necessary? News features 2.30-2.40, series A? What link for download 2.40 version.

I've used the mentioned versions one at a time, as they appeared. Currently I am using 2.30. But all them are tested and work under the mentioned Windows versions. Edited by Sergei Troizky

Good news! I am about to buy a new laptop PC which will have XP operating system.

Melsec Medoc is out of date, sold no more. Melsec medoc is a DOS based program, unlike someone told earlier that it runs under windows. It opens a DOS command mode and runs Melsec medoc. Try to contact your local vendor for a copy. They probably will give it for free. Expect no support on melsec medoc. If you want a light version of the windows software, it will be GX Developer FX. Only the Compact serie of mitsubishi PLC (FX) can you program with this software. The full version is GX-Developer or GX-IEC Developer. With those you can program every PLC from Mitsubishi. For the oldest alive PLC's F series you need the Melsec Medoc programming software. You cannot choose this type in the new software. Send me a note, maby i can do something for you. F.N.M.deJong@getronics.com

I agree with the Medoc crowd. It's outdated sure. It's also well written and capable. I can't recommend GX Developer to anyone for anything (what were they thinking!). Medoc will run on any machine, is not too bad to learn on and works very well under pressure with both small and large programs. It can be run straight from dos and it can be run under windows (in a console window, it's dos after all) in 95, 98, 98se, W2K, XP. You just need to learn a few of it's tricks such as once you get into an edit mode, hit Alt-H and you'll get a nice high-res screen. Use lots of comments and when you press Alt-C, you'll get a navigation screen that is hard to beat.

Good point from Frank about the F series not being supported by GX. I have about twenty F1 and F2's chugging away with no probelems. So, armed with Medoc and the F2-20GF clip-on adapter, I can tackle anything!

A small correction. Medoc is still sold by Mitsubishi distributors, at least in Canada. I do not know the version, and the OEM price is about $500 Canadian. Surely way too expensive for discontinued product. The product, however, is excelent, even today.

Medoc isn't sold in europe for a long time. About all the prgorammers that still use 'good old medoc' how will you program the new series PLC, system Q. Within the system Q series it isn't about programming, but about configuring. The most problems with the programming isn't the ladder you write, but is the communication part. Like ethernet, serial communication, profibus DP or whatever. Even the configuration of a analogue module is easy. You just use the special utility tool. In the GX software communication between several PLC CPU can be setup easily.