Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Conor

Replacement for panelview 1000 2711-K10G9

15 posts in this topic

Hi guys, Can anyone tell me what would be the best replacement for a Panelview 1000 2711-K10G9. I am looking at price, delivery etc. Thanks Conor

This is what I would use: https://store.redlio...?idProduct=1387 But my definition of "best" may not be the same as yours... Edited by OkiePC

Not a lot of parameters to go off of, but for the money you can't beat the Red Lion G3s.

I too, recommend switching to Red Lion. Low Price, free software, free tech support, what could be better?

That's saying a lot from a guy who's in an AB only plant.

Thanks guys

Oh I'm always happy to convert someone to the Red Lion G3. Once you use it you'll never go back.

I wona add mine 10 c This is what I would use: http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Operator_Interfaces/C-more_Touch_Panels The Ethernet port has several uses: • Download program to panel • Communicate to PLCs/PCs • Send e-mail • Access FTP server • Act as a Web server • Remote Internet Access Ethernet connections: • Productivity3000 • DirectLOGIC Ethernet • Modbus TCP/IP • Allen-Bradley EtherNet/IP™ Server - Generic I/O Messaging (ControlLogix™, CompactLogix™, and FlexLogix™) • Allen-Bradley EhterNet/IP Client - Tag Based (ControlLogix, CompactLogix, and FlexLogix™) • Allen-Bradley EtherNet/IP Client - MicroLogix 1100 & SLC 5/05, both via native Ethernet port • Allen-Bradley MicroLogix 1000, 1100, 1200, 1500, SLC 5-03/04/05, all via ENI Adapter • Entivity Modbus TCP/IP • Omron Ethernet FINS • Siemens Ethernet ISO over TCP

We have not installed an AB panel view since 2007, the last four years have been all Red Lion Products.

OK, what would you use to replace an HMI on DH+? We have a bunch of machines running PLC-5/SLC500 DH+ networks with either PV, PV+, or TCP/Proface HMIs. I would LOVE to replace them as they die with Red Lion or Automation Direct, but neither supports DH+ as far as I have been able to find. We have found only EZ-Touch and Uticor. I've used EZ-Touch before (MUCH prefer Red Lion / AD). A colleague is in the midst of trying to use a Uticor (pending approval of the end user) and it seems OK. Any other suggestions? We don't want to tie up the PLC's serial port with an HMI if we can avoid it.

Aside from those you already mentioned, the Cutler Hammer PanelMate Series may still support DH+ It has been several years since I used them, but I did find them very easy to program and they have very good hardware and software. They were almost as expensive to purchase as the PanelView, but that may have changed too. The Panelmate offered an accessory I think was called the A/B Acceleration card or something like that, and it could give you RIO or DH+ depending on which driver you installed. It was an add-on card that fastened to the back of the HMI much like the PV+ now offers 20 years later. http://www.eaton.com...erPro/index.htm Edited by OkiePC

The only other option would be an Ethernet to DH+ bridge but I've never used that with the Red Lion and I wouldn't think this would be a cost effective option if the footprints of the machine are small. If it were an assembly line with multiple HMIs to one controller it might be effective. Of course it might be time to start evaluating a replacement for the DH+ network itself as the life cycle of many of the components connected to it start coming to an end.

I agree with migration away from DH+. Unfortunately, it's near the bottom of the list of "things to update". We need to replace all of the PLC2s and SLC 100/150s before I even consider the PLC5s and SLC 500s.

Here's an interesting product: http://www.fieldserver.com/products/gateways/DH+_Gateway.php Looks like it might be expensive, but I didn't check. What is the realistic time-frame for replacing your DH+ networks, and how does that compare to the life-span of the HMI you are planning to put in? If you're going to be updating the machine in the next few years, it might be worth putting in a decent HMI now so that you have one less component to replace (and re-program?) later. If you're going to be using the machine as is for the foreseeable future, then pick best option that has DH+, unless you can find an inexpensive DH+ to serial or ethernet bridge.

That looks like more than I have time to tackle at this point. A lot of our old TCP HMIs are on machines that are on the way out over the next few (5 or so) years. Some of the others, though, will hopefully be running for quite a bit longer than that. I just threw this out there to see if anyone had a good alternative that I haven't heard of. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to come up with even a high-level "plan" for migrating away from the old stuff. New machines we build in-house are Logix5000 with Ethernet/IP, so HMIs are easy to find.