Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
panic mode

B & R X20s on AB PLC

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I am working on a project where among other things BnR X20 I/Os connect to a CompactLogix PLC (Ethernet). After some initial massage everything is working fine but thing that bugs me is the long time until CPU and BC0088 (Ethernet/IP bus coupler) start talking. Both devices boot in mere seconds but then they chitchat for good 40 seconds before green LEDs stop flashing ("I/O" led on cpu; "Net Status" led on bus coupler). According to documentation this means "No active master (scanner) connection established" which is obvious but why it has to take this long? It is not show stopper but if there is anything out there that can be done to cut this down, I'd like to know about it. It is probably not noticeable when BC is driven by PC (longer boot time of PC) but that's not the case here. Perhaps nothing can be done but I have to ask. Btw. The thing that connects them together is common configuration created in Fieldbus Designer (BnR) which then generates LK5 file for PLC and BIN file for bus coupler. Regards, panic

The first investigation I would do is to set up a mirror port and run Wireshark during the bootup and connection establishment process. What you're looking for is how long between when the CompactLogix requests an I/O connection and the B&R I/O grants that request. My guess is that this is the relatively long boot of the CompactLogix Ethernet daughtercard that you're seeing, rather than any delay that can be configured or programmed out of the system.

Hi Ken, Thank you for reply, I like the idea. I do have Wireshark and would like to check what goes on but cannot any more. I was away for couple of weeks and meanwhile equipment is gone. It doesn't seem to bother many people and to be honest I'm not sure if this is really an issue or not (it was for me but then, i'm allways in minority). If I get a chance, I would like to check it. Regards, IK