Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jstalman

ML 1400 PID

5 posts in this topic

I have an application where I think the PID instruction would work but Im not sure. Heres what I want to do. I have never used a PID instruction so any help or tips would be great. I have a servo that is winding some bulk velcro. I have a slitter motor just up stream that slits and feeds the servo motor. Whats happening is that when the servo starts it create a large loop of velcro and causes a bad wind. But after a few wraps it winds perfect. So using the analog out of the servo and the analog input of the VFD I want to control the slitter speed proportionally to the servo torque value (analog out) to create maintain a consistent tension on the velcro to make it wrap nice. Does this make sense. Is PID the proper way to do this or should I do it some other way. This is my first complicated project and again I would appreciate any help or examples. Thanks Jesse

Depending on the type of drives that you are using, you may be able to directly connect the analog out of the servo to the analog in of the vfd to control vfd speed. A lot of drives have follower mode that when configured properly, work quite well. Tell us the hardware you are using and maybe we can help. I have several projects going, but I will keep an eye on this post in case I can help you with better details.

This was a low budget project so I used the SureServo and Durapulse from Automationdirect.com. I do believe that the durapulse has some PID functions. Is this what your referring to? Thanks for your interest. Jesse

Yes, it is most commonly referred to as a following application. I am not at all familiar with the AD products so I cannot elaborate to help you. Good luck.

I got it figured out thanks for the help. Oh and it works perfect.