Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BAK96

Windows 7 professional 64 bit

13 posts in this topic

Migrating from windows XP to windows 7. Any good suggestions on running RS Logix 500 vers 7.10.00(CPR7) Is it possible on Windows 7 or a VM in XP mode? I'm sure someone has by now. Or I hope. Regards

Rockwell actively supports VMWare. I've heard that XP Mode and VirtualBox also work, but require some fiddling. I'm intending to switch to Windows 7 as my base OS, with VMWare running XP for each of the PLC brands I support (AB, Mitsubishi, Siemens, etc.). I just have been too busy! You can use VMWare Converter and Player for free. Converter creates a VM image off of an existing machine, and Player runs it. Workstation costs, but can be used to create images ex nihilo.

The RA Knowledgebase document discussing OS compatibility for RSLogix family editors was updated just last week and indicates that RSLogix 5000 v19, RSLogix 500 v8.40, and RSLinx Classic 2.57 will run natively in Windows 7 64-bit. https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/67020 I use VMWare Workstation for all of my automation software. Outlook and Office and our billing and purchasing tools live on the main Windows 7 OS along with SolidWorks and DraftSight so that they have access to the native graphics drivers. Workstation gives me full control of snapshots and backups so I have old revisions (to support some old RSView SE systems) that I can go back to if I need to. I have VMs running Linux and DOS as well, for applications that need those operating systems. VMWare Workstation is about $170 retail, with frequent discounts. It has undoubtedly saved me several thousand dollars just in engineering time. I understand from other Forum members that the Windows "XP Mode" license that's included with Windows 7 Professional can be used to create and license a VMWare VM. Because I have a Toolkit license, I run my Activation Server on the host OS and let the VMs borrow it. You might choose to put the licenses on the VM itself.

RSLogix 500 Lite works great on Win7. You just need to run it with admin privileges. Running it to learn with and working with a Micrologix 1100. Via RSLinx Classic. Edited by Nova5

I am using "Windows Virtual PC" that comes with W7. No third party VM software. Logix 5000 15 to 19, RSView Works, Factory Talk View Studio etc. are running without issue. Haven't tried to connect or go online though. However over ethernet I don't see a problem as similar siemens virtual machine worked fine on profinet.

You do not need VMWare Workstation to create VMs from scratch. Player will let you create a VM with a blank "hard drive" and install OS on it from scratch, as long as you have the install media. As mentioned, the stand-alone Converter software will make a VM image of a running installation. Just be aware that Windows activation won't necessarily carry over and there may be some hardware drivers that need to be changed/updated (I encountered both problems) but neither is particularly difficult.

Hi guys, I had posted a simular question to this earlier this year. It was regarding the 1784-U2DN. I have Linx 2.57 running on my Win7 64 bit laptop, but it won't recognise the U2DN. I had bought the U2DN to connect to my DeviceNet network as with my old XP laptop I used a 1784-PCD card in the PCMCIA slot, and my Win 7 doesn't have one of these. I contacted tech support but I was told that this unit is not supported. Its a real pain as I am still using my old laptop and its on its last legs. I have been trying to install WMware on the Win 7 but I am having some problems with it. Loaded WM and created a virtual machine ok, but when I tried to install Linx 2.57 it was looking for Wimdows installer 3.1.

I am running rslogix5000 and rsview me using Windows XP mode which uses the Windows Virtual PC on my new Windows 7 Pro 64 bit laptop and all is working well. I disabled the integration features when installing the software as I initially had some problems with the software reading the license files. Other than that it works just like it did on my Windows XP machine. You can set up 2 network adapters - one for your hardwired ethernet port and one for your wireless. This allows you to talk to your hardware through the hardwired port while using the internet and such in XP mode. You will need to assign a different IP address to the hardwired port in XP mode than the port in Windows 7. Edited by ERock

It also works just fine in Oracle's VirtualBox (verified on L32E using both DF1 and Ethernet). the DF1 was through generic USB to RS232 coverter (PL2303). here is a screenshot after VM was reduced to a small window. ( if you look closer, you can see HyperTerminal too... )

Update I installed VM workstation and have all of AB software up and running. The only real problems I encountered was the USB 3.0 ports. VM Ware and Windows virtual PC won't attatch those. Luckily I have 2 usb 2.0 ports and I use a hub if more is needed. I have all of my AB softtware and others that are used on the uquipment with Allen Bradley PLC's on VM ware and all of the Mitsubishi, Keyence, Proface, ect. on Windows virtual PC. This way I don't have to dedicate so much memory to either virtual machine and to test both VMs . So far no problems. Works out very well. I am supprised. Regards

What version of Factory Talk View are you running in the Virtual PC environment? Thanks, Mike

6.0 over here on Virtualbox

Factory talk view studio release 6.00.00 (CPR9 SR3) on windows virtual machine.